Raw score calculation

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Raw score calculation

by surajsagi » Thu May 15, 2008 10:57 pm
Hi,

Just wanted to clarify, how is raw score calcualted on a scale on 0-60 for verbal as well as quant section

- if i get 25 correct out of 37 - what is my raw score
- Similarly if i get 30 out of 41 ??

Is there a method to it or some reference document

I assuming, we add up the raw score and then check for the final score form a sheet

Thanks,
SM

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by gabriel » Fri May 16, 2008 10:04 am
Hey Suraj,

GMAC uses a very complicated algorithm to calculate it scores. The algorithm takes into account many factors while deciding the scores. I dont think any one outside of GMAC knows how this algorithm works.

by mwilliams » Fri May 16, 2008 12:24 pm
The scoring algorithm is based on difficulty of questions answered, not a certain hit rate. Answering questions at the beginning of the test is more important than at the beginning, because the algorithm gets a feel for your abilities based on early questions and bases the future questions on your past answers. For more material, look up information about Computer Adaptive Test (CATs). Hope I helped you out.

Scores Methodology !

by bhasinvishal » Sat May 24, 2008 8:17 am
I also have a problem understanding how to post comparable scores...
I just read a post where someone had posted a score which said Q50 V38.
Fine... 50 in Maths and 38 in verbal... but we dont have those many questions in those sections... right !?!
How do we get to those scores...
BTW... if they are scores which are given on adaptive tests then I am at loss as I haven't given many of those yet...
Please demystify... thanks

Vishal

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sat May 24, 2008 9:42 pm
Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to "demystify" the raw score calculation. As stated above, the GMAC uses a complicated - and proprietary - algorithm to calculate the raw scores. There's no way anyone outside the company will ever know how it truly works. Be happy just knowing that the higher it is, the better :)

The scores aren't based on the number of questions right or wrong, or percent correct, or anything like that. The score is calculated based on the difficulty of questions you got right, at what point on the test you got them right, how many you got right at various levels, etc. etc.

Also, you might like to know that the math and verbal raw scores mean very different things. For example, I scored a 49 on both sections. This was 99th (by far - 46 is already 99th %) for verbal but "only" 90th for math.

Hope this helps - even if it doesn't clear up anything...!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

by bhasinvishal » Sun May 25, 2008 12:02 am
Thanks for you help Jim !

As I had mentioned in my post I have not given any adaptive tests as of yet so I am not aware of the format in which the scored are presented.
From your explanation I gather that when someone mentions a score of say Q50 V38, then this score would be given to him/her by the test itself in addition to his/her cumulative score.
Hope I have got it right...

Vis

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sun May 25, 2008 7:09 am
Yes, that's right - you get the raw score and the 200-800 "real" score, which is based on the raw score.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep