Manhattan VS KAPLAN RC

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

Manhattan VS KAPLAN RC

by resilient » Wed May 07, 2008 4:47 pm
OK, when dealing with global or main idea quesitons, Mahattan GMAT explains to use a point system and give the more points to the answer choice that is more pertinant to the firt paragraph. HOwever, dealing with these questions, Kaplan emphasizes to use the whole passage as choose the answer choice that has more pertinence to the whole passage. Which one is right?
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by chidcguy » Wed May 14, 2008 2:15 pm
The MGMAT concept can get you dinged. I was doing a passage from the RC book and chose the primary purpose based on the point system. Guess what the answer is from the last paragraph. MGMAT doesnt say that we should apply this to every PP Q. They recommend it only when we are torn between 2 choices one from the first and one from some where else

Legendary Member

rc mgmat vs kaplan

by resilient » Wed May 14, 2008 3:17 pm
I see your point. In regards to practicing on the OG books, I am scoring atleast 80 percent correct. But I am going through the lsat reading comprehension question to reshine my skills. However, the main point questions are much harder here and the rules taught by mgmat do not always apply. I think we are to take the passage as a whole and attack the question that way. I am a bit confused. DO you have any place to learn the truest approach?

Legendary Member

by mayonnai5e » Thu May 15, 2008 4:45 am
I have heard the LSAT verbal material is significantly harder and more complex than the GMAT's thus what MGMAT suggests for GMAT questions may not be readily applicable. I did not read the MGMAT RC book so I used my own comprehension to develop a technique for answering such questions.

In particular, elimination is important here. For any answer choice where the topic is narrowly discussed in one paragraph, you can generally eliminate that choice. Often that will remove at least 2 of the choices. Also, scope is a very important point here - is the answer choice out of scope? The GMAT verbal tends to be extremely narrow in scope and you can use that to your advantage in "main point" type questions. If anything even seems remotely out of scope it probably is and that can also be eliminated.

Finally, when answering this question, I would very briefly scan each paragraph as fast a possible and mentally bullet point the main purpose of each paragraph (writing this out would take far too much time). If there are 4 paragraphs, then there are 4 bullet points - one for each paragraph - that I did not write down on paper. Once I did this, I would stop looking at the RC passage and mentally think to myself: Okay first bullet point is this...second is this...third is that and lastly he talks about this..."what was the author trying to do here? what's his intent?? why did he write these paragraphs? why in this order?" The idea is to reverse-engineer from the endpoint and go to back to the moment when the author was just beginning to lay out his ideas on paper.

These general thoughts helped me think from the author's perspective and the point of removing my eye from the RC passage is to remove any chance that I would let what is in front of my eye influence my thinking subconsciously.

Try that with some sample RC passages under untimed conditions - just do this for practice because you want to learn the technique well before applying it on a CAT.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-blog-erro ... t4899.html
550 =\ ...560 =\... 650 =) ...570 =( ...540 =*( ...680 =P ... 670 =T ...=T... 650 =T ...700 =) ..690 =) ...710 =D ...GMAT 720 DING!! ;D

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Fri May 16, 2008 5:20 pm
mayonnai5e wrote:Finally, when answering this question, I would very briefly scan each paragraph as fast a possible and mentally bullet point the main purpose of each paragraph (writing this out would take far too much time). If there are 4 paragraphs, then there are 4 bullet points - one for each paragraph - that I did not write down on paper. Once I did this, I would stop looking at the RC passage and mentally think to myself: Okay first bullet point is this...second is this...third is that and lastly he talks about this..."what was the author trying to do here? what's his intent?? why did he write these paragraphs? why in this order?" The idea is to reverse-engineer from the endpoint and go to back to the moment when the author was just beginning to lay out his ideas on paper.
this is a good strategy; anything that helps you shift your thoughts away from the concrete content on the page, and toward abstract notions such as 'the author's purpose' and 'the main idea', will be tremendously useful.

here's another way to think about it: pretend that you have a partner / colleague / whatever, to whom your job is to explain what the passage is about - in fifteen seconds or less. ACTUALLY EXPLAIN IT OUT LOUD; don't just think about what you would say. if you're in a public place, then mouth the words to yourself (or whisper very quietly); you can do the same during the actual official test.
why is explaining out loud so useful? here's why: it forces you to paraphrase. you would never say the point of a passage the same way you would write it. therefore, if you force yourself to say OUT LOUD what is the main point of the passage, you will transform the information (at least somewhat) in your head - a process that will increase comprehension.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

ok

by resilient » Fri May 16, 2008 7:56 pm
thank you folks.