OG 11 & GMAT PREP - overlap! and...

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

OG 11 & GMAT PREP - overlap! and...

by markd4863 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:22 pm
Just thought I would mention that there is in fact, an overlap between OG 11 and the GMAT prep software provided. It seems as though some posters have inquired, and people responded in the negative. I've confirmed it's true, although minimal.

Also, just thought I'd comment on the effectiveness of OG 11. I took the GMAT prep initially without any prep and scored a 530 V(31);Q(29). I just recently took the GMAT prep CAT for the second time after having spent approx 50 hrs in OG11, completing all questions and sufficiently reviewing answers and explanations. This was done over the course of two weeks, 3-5 hours per day. My second practice CAT score...620 V(37) - Q 38

I'm taking the real thing this saturday and thought my experience might be helpful to test takers with similar goals... cracking 600 for instance.

Personal Backround - (might be helpful in evaluating my experience/results):

I'm an undergraduate finance major at a BigTen school graduating in the spring and just recently accepted a job offer with a professional services firm, which is contigent upon my acceptance into graduate business program (Darden - UVA)...I needed to complete an application within 45 days after accepting an offer, and this is the reason for the short time frame. Also, because of my being sponsored by this particular firm, I was only required to score above 600. Good Luck to aspiring 700+ test takers!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:57 pm
Thats a news for me :shock:

i knew that GMAT prep s/w has OG11 items but they are in practise section and not in CAT.
Are you sure they have repeats in CAT too?

thanks for this post mate! and welcome to the forums. :)

by markd4863 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:45 pm
Yup. I'm certain. I had suspicions previously, but kept my OG 11 guide near by during the second CAT. One PS question and one DS question. I didn't encounter any questions that seemed familar in Verbal, but then again, remembering a sentence in SC for instance, might have been difficult.

I think this minimally effected my second practice exam score, and resulting 90 pt surge from CAT1 (pre-OG11), to CAT2 (post-OG11)...

anyways, I thought this experience spoke volumes about the value of OG, and might encourage others with similar expectations *600 -- everyone else....reach for the stars!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:56 am
markd4863 wrote:Yup. I'm certain. I had suspicions previously, but kept my OG 11 guide near by during the second CAT. One PS question and one DS question. I didn't encounter any questions that seemed familar in Verbal, but then again, remembering a sentence in SC for instance, might have been difficult.

I think this minimally effected my second practice exam score, and resulting 90 pt surge from CAT1 (pre-OG11), to CAT2 (post-OG11)...

anyways, I thought this experience spoke volumes about the value of OG, and might encourage others with similar expectations *600 -- everyone else....reach for the stars!
Thanks for sharing the insights, Mark. Knock that test dead this Saturday!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by MaleInNC2007 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:58 pm
I have completed the OG's and I noticed a lot of overlap. I have reviewed 8 other books (I went through all of my old books from 2003). Maybe it was just me.

Anyway, good luck!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by maxim730 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:07 pm
Ok, I guess I should start doing OG and stop messing with PR's questions!