Hong Kong University MBA

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Hong Kong University MBA

by jauntybush » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:56 pm
Hi,

I'm putting a call out to anyone who has studied their MBA at the University of Hong Kong (HKU). I have landed an interview with them shortly but am still seeking information. What was your experience there and would you recommend that others attend this university? I have heard variously that HKUST's MBA program is better but I'd like to hear opinions and feedback from those who have attended or have some inside knowledge.

Thanks

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by HKUST MBA Representative » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:28 pm
I am a current MBA student at HKUST (intake 2011) and I would like to respond to your inquiry. The HKU MBA and HKUST MBA programs are both very good and each have their strengths. I personally was accepted into both programs and subsequently decided to attend HKUST based on my career goals and personal preference.

I cannot comment on HKU MBA, but I have met several students from the program, and they are a high quality bunch.

For the HKUST MBA, the experience so far has been great. Diversity of the class is very high at 93% international and 28 nationalities. There is not dominant demographic in the class at all. The admissions team certainly did an excellent job in selecting candidates that are team players and open to diversity.

The HKUST MBA has gained high recognition over the last decade. The faculty are mostly PhDs from North America and Europe. The MBA Career Services does a great job of organizing events and speakers. From my experience and discussions with several international banks/firms that visited campus, HKUST is one of the only Asian schools that is a target recruitment school.

I hope this helps out. Please let me know if you would like any more information in regards to specific aspects of the MBA program.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by jauntybush » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:58 pm
Thanks for your opinion, it is great to get input from a student who is doing the program right now. I've been impressed by what HKUST has had to offer in their MBA program - congratulations on getting in. I've been surprised that there hasn't been much 'chatter' on the Asian MBA programs which are rising in popularity.

Are you an international student yourself? I've applied (and have an interview) from Australia. If you are, how have you found settling into Hong Kong and the MBA lifestyle there?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by HKUST MBA Representative » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:25 am
Yes, I am an international student from Canada. Hong Kong is a great city and there is something for everyone here. For me personally, the transition has been very easy. Although I am Canadian, I am of Cantonese/Hong Kong origin.

However, settling in Hong Kong is quite easy for anyone. As I stated 93% of the class is international and hail from various countries in Europe, North America, South America, Asia and Africa. MBA lifestyle is very busy. The weeks are filled with classes, assignments, group work, career events, social events, and of course extracurricular activities. It is hard work but has been great so far and I'm very happy I made the decision to come here.