SJSU vs Santa Clara University

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

SJSU vs Santa Clara University

by juhi » Fri May 02, 2008 6:13 pm
Hi,

Im currently in HR & business development. I wish to enroll in mba and specialize in finance.

I would like to know which school is better out of San Jose State University & Santa Clara University in terms of changing my field to finance and getting a better paying job. If I look at the cost aspect, SJSU will cost me about 1/4 or 1/3 of what SCU will cost as I am a resident of CA.

If there is any student who is currently in either college, or anyone who has an opinion, I would love to hear!

Thanks
Juhi

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

Silicon Valley Programs...

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat May 03, 2008 6:36 pm
Hi Juhi,

I did some research on those programs for a friend earlier this year. While they are both great regional schools, I think Santa Clara has a better reputation. I was impressed by their alumni network in the Bay Area, extra-curricular activities and curriculum. From what I hear, the school is making great strides in improving the school's overall reputation among recruiters. Since you are trying to make a career change, you would be better off in a higher ranked program.

But like you said, tuition is a lot less at SJSU. You might want to research the recruiters and alumni from SJSU. Do the companies you are interested recruit from the program? Are there alumni from the program who work at companies that interest you? If so, SJSU could be a good option.

In either program (probably moreso at SJSU) make sure you work hard to network with alumni and companies to find the right opportunity post-MBA.

p.s. have you also considered UC Davis? I don't know too much about their MBA program, but I have heard good things...

Hope that helps!

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by juhi » Sun May 04, 2008 11:35 am
Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for your response. I too have heard that SCU has a better reputation and I agree with you about their curriculum being better than SJSU's, they definitely have a wider choice of electives.

About the recruitments, I am aware that SJSU has a good list of companies that hire grads from there in their MS programs but still have not been able to figure out anything about the MBA program.

While cost is an important factor, I do not want to make that as the only criteria in choosing a B- school as the program at both places would need a good amount of time and energy.

I did attend an information session of UC Davis, however their location is not convenient for me as I am in south bay and it will need some commute.

If you are aware of any ways to contact present/past students of SJSU & SCU please let me know..

I am also considering enrolling in SJSU for one semester and transferring the credits to SCU if needed. I would also like to get in touch with Veritas prep for help with my SCU application...

Thanks for our help!
Juhi

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon May 05, 2008 8:56 am
juhi wrote:Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for your response. I too have heard that SCU has a better reputation and I agree with you about their curriculum being better than SJSU's, they definitely have a wider choice of electives.

If you are aware of any ways to contact present/past students of SJSU & SCU please let me know..

I am also considering enrolling in SJSU for one semester and transferring the credits to SCU if needed.

Thanks for our help!
Juhi

Hi Juhi,

Thanks for your message. I cut and pasted some of the comments from your previous post. Sounds like SCU is a better choice for you (in spite of the higher tuition). I also think you will get more from the program.

In terms of reaching out to students/alumni, I would contact the schools directly and ask if they have any admissions events (info sessions / alumni activites). Most programs have outreach events. And dont be shy about asking for advice/information... one thing about MBA students/alums... they love to talk about their experience in b-school!

Another strategy is reaching out to extra-curricular clubs and network with its members. For example, if you are interested in consulting post-MBA, contact the SCU Consulting Club and try to set up an informational conversation with a member/officer.

Make sure you spend time on campus - not only will you meet students/professors who could be a good source of information, but you will also get a better sense of program.

Lastly, I would not recommend transferring from one school to another. I believe you should commit to one program and use the short time you have to utilize the school's resources to the fullest (i.e. network with classmates/alumni/faculty, participate in recruiting/extra-curricular activities).

If helpful, feel free to PM me and I can put you in touch with Veritas directly.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep