Profile evaluation please

Launched August 9, 2011
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation please

by ericg519 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:28 pm
Hello!

I'd like to request an evaluation of my profile at this point in my career; I'd like to add that I have yet to write my GMAT, and would like to know a ballpark figure to be competitive at my target schools as well as an evaluation of the other intangibles.

I am currently 23 years old and am hoping that it would be appropriate to apply for Round 1 2012 (at age 24), during my final/senior year. I am currently not in school due to work duties explained below as well as an illness, and have yet to graduate. I am also a Canadian citizen.

GPA:
3.4-3.6 at the time of desired application. Had a 3.0 in first year, and have maintained almost a 3.9 since.

Undergrad:
York University in Toronto. Science and Technology Studies (3-Year B.A.) The program focuses on the development of technology. I have been in and out of school part time for the past 5 or so years because I have been employed full-time. I have also paid my way through school. I will be graduating in April 2013. I am hoping it would be appropriate to apply at 25 and enter at 26 with 7 years of experience.

Work Experience:
In high school started 2 successful online businesses, trading both sports memorabilia and later high-end sporting goods. Networked and did business with many of the largest memorabilia dealers in North America at age 13 and 14. Contacts I developed through this business provided access into sporting goods. Earned over $2,000 per month during high school this way.

5 years full-time in real estate development and management corp. Served as assistant general manager since 2007, working 6 day per weeks for the past 3 years. Had hired and managed 25 independent contractors. Coordinated, managed, and maintained $10 million in assets; generated an average of $1.3 million in annual revenue. Hired and supervised consulting engineers, architects, and contractors for ~$1.5 million in projects. I also introduced various scheduling and incentive models that increased overall revenue by 4% (~$40,000) in one year.

I have since made the transition into producing and distributing interior architectural products, something I had very good knowledge of through managing construction and renovation projects. My father owns a large factory that utilizes much of the machinery needed, so the transition was natural. I have since had another machine customized and built valuing $30,000. I will be the only company in Canada to produce the materials utilized in production all the way through to the final product itself. My cost is roughly 50% of that of the top competitors, with much stricter quality control. This company will be incorporated in the coming weeks. I have also designed a patent, where I will utilize a unique feature in the product design. I will be the owner of the patent as well, which is in the process of being filed. I am also in the process of testing for national certification. All of this should be completed in the coming few months.

Extra Curricular:
Started and managed an initiative to clean up polluted regions of a local moraine. Worked with partner (currently studying law at U of Miami), since 2005 (11th grade) until 2010. Have personally contributed over 300 hours of service (mostly during high school), while the initiative has contributed over 2,500 hours from a total of 45 volunteers. Until 2007 I had also contributed 200 hours at hockey schools helping children aged 10 and under.

Played Junior 'A' hockey in Canada until 2006, and again briefly in December 2008- February 2009. I had to quit because of a 4th concussion. It was also increasingly difficult to manage athletics, academics, and work simultaneously. My schedule was completely jammed and it was only manageable because of the Christmas holidays.

Misc.:
Bilingual; English and Russian.

As a short-term goal I would like to maximize the viability of my company and expand across the North American market, ideally through franchising. My margins are larger than that of the only significant American competitor. I'd like to get my MBA to be most prepared for such an endeavor and at the point I will be at very shortly.

From there, perhaps expanding into different products or handing the company over to a family member and venture into real-estate development (where much of my experience is as well).

I am also open to certain career changes within the gaming (gambling) industry and sports administration that can be expanded upon in the future. Certain schools that I have listed cater to these industries.

My Hopeful List (in sequence):

Harvard
Stanford
M.I.T.
NYU
Berkeley
Cornell

I'm most concerned about applying as a senior and not a graduate. I feel that this will be the appropriate time to apply based on where I am in my professional career and where I will be. Had my work duties not have been so heavy I would have already graduated, and will be graduated months before potentially entering at age 26. Any critiques or opinions would be welcomed.

Thank You!
Eric

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:26 pm
Eric it looks like you are doing great! Got good grades with a sweet upward trend at a college with a name, not one but TWO successful business and in HIGH SCHOOL (believe me, I'm jealous), plus five years in real estate! Awesome!

Just beat the crap out of the GMAT and make some amazing essays and you will be ready to go.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ericg519 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:44 pm
I am very concerned about the 3-year B.A. From what I understand most schools do not look kindly upon 3-year bachelor degrees from India for example. How will having a 3-year B.A. effect me?