Disappointed with my score

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Disappointed with my score

by drbyadav » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:10 am
Hi people

i am a doctor from india.its my first post,though i have been visiting this blog for last one month .its a wonderfull blog for starters.it helped me a lot in my preparation but unfortunately i didn't get good score.i took GMAT on 22 dec n got 620 (48 Q, 27 V).i preapred for about one month and scored 670 (47 Q,35 V) n 680(48 Q ,33 V) in GMATprep.on exam day ,i did not feel that my performance is going to be a blunder in verbal section. though i am not good at verbal ,still 27 in verbal is really bad.i think my score is of no use. i am planning to retake GMAT in march.please suggest me what should i do to improve my score in verbal.

Thanks

doc
Hi there

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:54 am
Hi doc:

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with your verbal score.

What kind of strategy did you employ to study for verbal during your GMAT preparation? Did you ever identify what questions types you were particularly weak (e.g., sentence correction)?
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by drbyadav » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:30 pm
Hi Eric,
first of all, thanks for starting a great blog. i prepared for 5 weaks and i used OG (11 edition) and kaplan verbal. i did all the questions in verbal section of OG and went through kaplan verbal . my weak part is sentence correction . i m fine in RC and have comparatively better in CR .I went through all the notes available on this blog .They are really helpful. my scores in practice test are

Princton 690 ( didn't remember the break up)

720 (Q 50 V 41)
Kaplan 570

GMAT prep 670 (Q 47,V 35)

680(Q 49, V 33)

As my scores are reflecting my main problem is verbal. besides that I am not in habit of reading on computer screen .may be that had also contributed a bit for my low score. I will practice for that.please help me in preparing my study plan . From where i can get practice material ? are these 1000 questions are good and answers are right ? shall i buy manhattan?
suggestions from all the members will be appreciated

Thanks

Doc
Hi there

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:15 am
drbyadav wrote:Hi Eric,
first of all, thanks for starting a great blog. i prepared for 5 weaks and i used OG (11 edition) and kaplan verbal. i did all the questions in verbal section of OG and went through kaplan verbal . my weak part is sentence correction . i m fine in RC and have comparatively better in CR .I went through all the notes available on this blog .They are really helpful. my scores in practice test are

Princton 690 ( didn't remember the break up)

720 (Q 50 V 41)
Kaplan 570

GMAT prep 670 (Q 47,V 35)

680(Q 49, V 33)

As my scores are reflecting my main problem is verbal. besides that I am not in habit of reading on computer screen .may be that had also contributed a bit for my low score. I will practice for that.please help me in preparing my study plan . From where i can get practice material ? are these 1000 questions are good and answers are right ? shall i buy manhattan?
suggestions from all the members will be appreciated

Thanks

Doc
You definitely need to get familiar with taking tests on the computer screen--the only way that can be done is through lots of practice tests. Princeton Review, Kaplan, and GMATPrep are the traditional best practice test resource.

Have you identified sentence correction as your primary weakness? If so, then I highly recommend the Manhattan GMAT SC Guide. 1000SC might be good practice, but we can't be sure about the source of these questions. It's always best to stick primarily with the big name companies since they invest more in researching the right practice questions.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by maxim730 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:14 pm
Hmm. My exam is Feb. 10 and I know SC is my weakness. Should I buy the book and cram it in? I haven't taken any Verbal exams just Math so far (PR's online exams, I've gotten 35-40 on Math). I can improve on Math, I keep making silly mistakes ;(

My goal is around 650. :)