Got a 680 (Q48,V35) - Is it Good enough?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Got a 680 (Q48,V35) - Is it Good enough?

by mk2320 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:44 am
Guys,

I got the above score and I am not totally satisfied. I was hoping to crack the 700 barier.

I am an Indian(working for last 6 years in US) with 10 years of experience in IT field. I read somewhere that for International student (Asian) 720 is a average score!! I am not sure how true that is.

I have Bachelors degree in Electrical engineering from a reputed college in India with an above average record. I am not sure how to calculate the GPA (any help is highly appreciated).

I want to do MBA in finance, especially in Investment Banking. I know Top 5 is beyond me. But I am not sure whether I have realistic chances in Top 10-15. I really hope columbia hears me out.Any thoughts on how to approach?

I am also considering retaking the test, but not sure as of now.

Finally, I am grateful to this forum for all the resources, although hooked in little late.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:42 pm
Hi mk2320:

I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed in not reaching your target score.

I advise you to ask your questions about admissions strategy to Stacy Blackman in her forum. She's an expert in MBA admissions and will have some good advice for you about next steps.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Re: Got a 680 (Q48,V35) - Is it Good enough?

by aim-wsc » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:23 pm
mk2320 wrote:Guys,

I am an Indian(working for last 6 years in US) with 10 years of experience in IT field. I read somewhere that for International student (Asian) 720 is a average score!! I am not sure how true that is.

I have Bachelors degree in Electrical engineering from a reputed college in India with an above average record. I am not sure how to calculate the GPA (any help is highly appreciated).
yes, you are right about the average GMAT score... but dont worry GMAT is just one part of application package... ( yeah but a signficant part... :? )

for GPA check the application form of your prospective b-school and check if they really ask for 4.0 scaled GPA report.... most of the schools take your marks as it is..

Ask Stacy for help... :)