Very Weak In Verbal!! What to do?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Very Weak In Verbal!! What to do?

by abonawa » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:41 am
Guys.....

I just took my first GMAT exam last saturday and my results were as follows:

Q: 43 - V: 23 - AWA: 3.0 - Overall: 550

The problem is that most business schools to which I apply needs a minimum GMAT score of 620. It's obvious that I'm weak in Verbal especially critical reasoning. I feel dumb in front of those questions and I don't know why. Some of you might say since English is not may native language, my verbal scores would be slightly low. This isn't true because I scored 107 in TOEFL-iBT. Hence, it can be said that either my approach to those problems is wrong or I'm not prepared well to solve CRs.

I used KAPLAN 2008 books for my preparation. These books give you a good practice problems and time saving techniques. But, they don't give you illustrations and strategies on how to solve subjects included in the test only a briefing is available.

My next GMAT test is on 22 May and it will be highly appreciated from those who beat the GMAT to give me some excellent guidance in the verbal, especially CR, and AWA part to reach my goal (min 680).

Thanks in advance for your recommendations

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_Tatiana » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:02 am
Hi there,

To improve at CR questions, I would recommend taking a look at some non-mathematical logic books. These will help you diagram and pick apart different logical structures. You should be able to find these online or at your local library.

I also like listening to politicians speak, and trying to find the flaws in their logic. Often when people are interviewed on the news, from politicians to executives, they answer questions without really answering... by taking the rest of us on a journey that seems logical on the surface, but does not hold up when deconstructed. This is a lot of what you'll have to do on the test.

Lastly, as I always recommend, understand each and every problem you miss, along with the correct way to solve it. That is at least one more thing you will get right on the real test!

Tatiana
Tatiana Becker | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep