00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices.

A. the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
B. the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
C. that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United States is due to residential and industrial development and changes to
D. in the northeastern United States, sandpipers' vanishing is due to residential and industrial development and to changes in
E. in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers' vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sameerballani » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

imo B
oa and source?

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:00 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

sameerballani wrote:imo B
oa and source?
please explain each answer choice......

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by abhishek.pati » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

IMO B
whats the OA.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ov25 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

B

noun comparison -- comparison between pastures and the bird -- in that they are both vanishing due to specified reasons.

diction wise, the grassy fields are vanishinh in AP and the bird, in NEUS.

B is the only correct choice.
A - consider this...like X, Y vanishing is a result of W and Z. This suggests that both X and Y are vanishing due to W and Z -- illogical here
B - Correct; Like X, Y is vanishing as a result of -- this structure lets you attribute the reason that follows 'as a result of' to just 'Y' effect.
C - illegal comparison between grassy field and vanishing
D - ditto
E - ditto

Legendary Member

by sameerballani » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:29 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

aspirant2011 wrote:Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices.

A. the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
B. the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
C. that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United States is due to residential and industrial development and changes to
D. in the northeastern United States, sandpipers' vanishing is due to residential and industrial development and to changes in
E. in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers' vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing
See the comparison.
In option D and Eeven if you remove/ignore "in the nortwestern US",
the sandpiper's vanishing=the vanishing of sandpiper-> Not comparable

We need bird(not birds) to compare. And when we need to refer that bird again then we will use ITSELF

in option C "due to" and "changes to" are wrong.

I hope this helps
Thanks

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:40 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

thanks a lot guys ..........yup the OA is B.........tell me one thing that is this a comparison question?????? because if I see initial part of the sentence then it says "Like grassy fields", to what part is this phrase being compared?????

Legendary Member

by sameerballani » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:51 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

aspirant2011 wrote:thanks a lot guys ..........yup the OA is B.........tell me one thing that is this a comparison question?????? because if I see initial part of the sentence then it says "Like grassy fields", to what part is this phrase being compared?????
i feel -> like grassy field is being compared to the BIRD
Even i got confused aboutthis but then i got the answer using other things
And putting the meaning component i am able to understand that
2 things are vanishing/decreasing - "the bird" and "the grassy fields and old pastures" and v r comparing them

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Like grassy fields....,bird itself is vanishing.....

Can we replace itself with something, i couldnt get the meaning easily.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Legendary Member

by sameerballani » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:39 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

vikram4689 wrote:Like grassy fields....,bird itself is vanishing.....

Can we replace itself with something, i couldnt get the meaning easily.
meaning is something like
sandbird are dependent on grassy fields, which are decreasing, BUT the bird ITSELF is also decreasing.
SO the two decreasing things are - grassy fields and the bird.
So we need to compare them.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by amit2k9 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:53 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

call between A and B.
B is better on the usage of 'as a result of'. More so, possessive gerund usage and comparison is also not apt here.
For Understanding Sustainability,Green Businesses and Social Entrepreneurship visit -https://aamthoughts.blocked/
(Featured Best Green Site Worldwide-https://bloggers.com/green/popular/page2)

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:24 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

vikram if u are still not able to solve the problem and come to the conclusion then you can solve it in the following way-

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices.

A. the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in ----> as subject is sandpipers, therefore, verb are should have been used

E. in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers' vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing--------> awkward

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I think the problem with this sentence is that it is not a sentence as subject for verb "is" is missing. Birds(subject) has are(verb) but "is" does not have any subject.
And the problem with above sentence is that it is NOT ||. "due to" is one word which can either be taken common or used again. "is" is correct as subject is vanishing and not sandpipers. Take care of '

Legendary Member

by sameerballani » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

vikram4689 wrote:
I think the problem with this sentence is that it is not a sentence as subject for verb "is" is missing. Birds(subject) has are(verb) but "is" does not have any subject.

I agree. Also dont u feel "that" in starting is ambiguous.
Also dont u think parallelism issue is also there.

And the problem with above sentence is that it is NOT ||. "due to" is one word which can either be taken common or used again. "is" is correct as subject is vanishing and not sandpipers. Take care of '

I eliminated this on the basis of wrong comparison

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:28 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

sameerballani wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:

I agree. Also dont u feel "that" in starting is ambiguous.
Also dont u think parallelism issue is also there.

Well "that" can be used after ' , '
e.g. Like the shirt of Alex, that of Bob is dirty.
Yes || seem to be an issue

I eliminated this on the basis of wrong comparison
yes, comparison is also wrong, bird is required but here subject is vanishing