00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is
B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be
C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be
D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be
E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

[spoiler]OA: Will be posted later. Please discuss each answer choice in detail[/spoiler]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by greenshadow » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:28 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is
B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be --> incorrect comparison
C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be
D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be --> Wrong antecedent for they, it is referring to fat
E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

Hence, I believe the answer is C.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by clock60 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

hi aspirant
i saw this problem earlier so i think that i can explain.
i think that you are actually between B and C as other choices are inferior to those.
in B
wild animals have less total fat than livestock -pretty nice version,look at example
Ann has fewer coins than Bob,the structure is similar to above in B
but in C
wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock, what is that of? compare with
Ann has fewer coins than that of Bob, it is nonsensical comparison.
for sure we can write
the economy of USA is greater than that of Africa. ( no offence to Africa), here that of refer to the economy, and it is logical comparison or in other version
the USA has greater economy than Africa. the same concept is tested here
as for other options
in A- they think
in D- total fat of wild animals is less than livestock wrong comparison
of total fat with animals, vague antecedent-they
in E total fat is less in wild animals than that in of livestock, i hope preposition in is needed here, of their-again vague antecedent, they think- does not mean anything, it follows that recent studies think

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Arcane66 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Yeah, I chose B too. I think the "than that of" in choice C rubbed me the wrong way.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Calvin123 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

clock60 wrote:hi aspirant
i think that you are actually between B and C as other choices are inferior to those.
in B
wild animals have less total fat than livestock -pretty nice version,look at example
but in C
wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock, what is that of? compare with
for sure we can write
the economy of USA is greater than that of Africa. ( no offence to Africa), here that of refer to the economy, and it is logical comparison or in other version
as for other options
in A- they think
in E total fat is less in wild animals than that in of livestock, i hope preposition in is needed here, of their-again vague antecedent, they think- does not mean anything, it follows that recent studies think
Hi Clock60,

I totally agree with the reply and answer you posted. could you please shed more light on, where to use 'that of' and where not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Calvin

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:33 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

clock60 wrote:hi aspirant
in B
but in C
for sure we can write
as for other options
in A- they think
in E total fat is less in wild animals than that in of livestock, i hope preposition in is needed here, of thehasir-again vague antecedent, they think- does not mean anything, it follows that recent studies think
Hi Clock60,

Thanks for your response. Yup I am confused between B and C :-(..........can you please tell that in your example which you explained i.e "Ann has fewer coins than that of Bob, it is nonsensical comparison."........in this to what is "that of" refering??????? does it refer to coins of bob??????though I agree on "Ann has fewer coins than Bob has"

If I take option C then that of refers to total fat and I feel that the sentence is logical i.e wild animals have less total fat than total fat of livestock????????Am I correct???????

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by clock60 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:50 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

hi aspirant
in you example as well as in option C.
wild animals have less total fat than total fat of livestock?
i am not sure that it is correct. imo here you compare wild animals and total fat that is illogical but i cam mistake
correct version will be
wild animals have less total fat than livestocks (have). second have can be omitted.
or in other variant as in option D that is partly correct
total fat of wild animals is less than that of livestock, here that of refers to total fat. but not to wild animals

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:54 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

clock60 wrote: in you example as well as in option C.
wild animals have less total fat than total fat of livestock?
are we not comparing total fat in wild animals have less total fat than total fat of livestock??????

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by nafiul9090 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

i pick option B

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:59 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Aspirant -

Two things (maybe three things):

You are way too generous when reading. I wrote an article about this problem! Anyway you are seeking to make the most useful or obvious meaning of the sentence, which is good in work life but not on the GMAT.

Secondly, remember that Sentence Correction is a comparison. Even if C were something we could force to work B is better. B is more straight-forward, shorter, etc. So remember that you are looking for the better option here.

Finally, Clock60 is exactly right on this one. What if I were to say "I am taller than that of you" It makes no sense. You use the "that of" when you are comparing a property of one thing to a property of another. So you would say that "the height of the Chrysler building is greater than that of the Empire State Building."

THAT is one of my favorite GMAT words. It is a special word in two circumstances - 1) you need a that when you quote anything on the GMAT. Such as "He said that I should study more" You will notice that the GMAT never seems to use quotations, so you will always need the "that."

2) The other special use of the THAT is what we are discussing on this question. In this use of "that" the word that is functioning pretty much as a pronoun. THAT is referring back to another word the way that a pronoun refers back to a noun. So in my example about the buildings, you can see that the word "that" is referring to "the height" and if you insert "the height" for "that" you have a good sentence. "The height of the Chrysler building is greater than the height of the Empire State Building."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:16 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

David@VeritasPrep wrote:Aspirant -

Two things (maybe three things):

You are way too generous when reading. I wrote an article about this problem! Anyway you are seeking to make the most useful or obvious meaning of the sentence, which is good in work life but not on the GMAT.

Secondly, remember that Sentence Correction is a comparison. Even if C were something we could force to work B is better. B is more straight-forward, shorter, etc. So remember that you are looking for the better option here.

Finally, Clock60 is exactly right on this one. What if I were to say "I am taller than that of you" It makes no sense. You use the "that of" when you are comparing a property of one thing to a property of another. So you would say that "the height of the Chrysler building is greater than that of the Empire State Building."

THAT is one of my favorite GMAT words. It is a special word in two circumstances - 1) you need a that when you quote anything on the GMAT. Such as "He said that I should study more" You will notice that the GMAT never seems to use quotations, so you will always need the "that."

2) The other special use of the THAT is what we are discussing on this question. In this use of "that" the word that is functioning pretty much as a pronoun. THAT is referring back to another word the way that a pronoun refers back to a noun. So in my example about the buildings, you can see that the word "that" is referring to "the height" and if you insert "the height" for "that" you have a good sentence. "The height of the Chrysler building is greater than the height of the Empire State Building."
thanks a lot david,I got the concept now :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:41 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Thanks David, Can you please share link of the article you mentioned.

I have tried to solidify this concept, please tell whether following are analysis is right:
1. Wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock (Incorrect, comparison between wild animals & total fat (that of) )
2. A has more pencils than those of B (Incorrect, A is compare to pencils)
3. Wild animals have less total fat than livestock do (Incorrect, "have" should be used in place of "do". Therefore, "Wild animals have less total fat than livestock" is correct)

4. Following sentences are equivalent:
a) Wild animals have less total fat than livestock have
b) Wild animals have less total fat than have livestock
c) Wild animals have less total fat than livestock
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:54 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

vikram4689 wrote:
b) Wild animals have less total fat than have livestock
Hi,
I don't think this usage is correct.
Expert opinions would be appreciated.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by nafiul9090 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

"3. Wild animals have less total fat than livestock do"

why it is wrong.

regards nafi

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:44 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Here is the link to the article about people being to charitable on the GMAT.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/03/ ... n-the-gmat
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course