The steel industry has changed radically over the last

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

A. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel
B. as large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
C. with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
D. while large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
E. and large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel

[spoiler]OA: Will be posted later. Please discuss each answer choice in detail[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Tue May 31, 2011 8:25 am
Hi,
IMO B
relative pronoun that is essential. So, A,E are out
'as' is essential to convey the meaning of how the industry has radically changed.
So, C,D are out because they change the meaning.

Cheers!

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:31 am
Frankenstein wrote:Hi,
IMO B
'as' is essential to convey the meaning of how the industry has radically changed.

Cheers!
I agree with you that we require "that" but don't you feel the comma structure is awkward in option B because I feel that there shouldn't be any comma between integrated companiesand such as Bethlehem Steel

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:560

by MBACRACKER » Tue May 31, 2011 8:34 am
IMO B

Cheers!
U are correct. Answer is B.

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Tue May 31, 2011 8:55 am
aspirant2011 wrote:
IMO B

Cheers!
I agree with you that we require "that" but don't you feel the comma structure is awkward in option B because I feel that there shouldn't be any comma between integrated companiesand such as Bethlehem Steel
Hi,
I think those commas are essential because the clause is modifying companies. Even if u neglect this point, relative pronoun and meaning of sentence should make it better answer.

Cheers!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by aftableo2006 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:50 am
the answer is B

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:40 pm
Got a PM on this one:

I would just echo what Frankenstein has said. I am not a big "comma" guy. On really important papers I always get someone to check on my commas for me...nevertheless I get GMAT SC right.

Commas are only there to help you on sentence correction not to be a burden. If the comma can guide you then take the hint. But here B, C, AND D all have the comma in the same place - since A and E are out with the relative clause missing you have NO CHOICE on the comma.

This sentence may be painful to you to choose B, but remember the correct answer is not necessarily a sentence you would have written - just the best of the 5!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:44 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:Got a PM on this one:

I would just echo what Frankenstein has said. I am not a big "comma" guy. On really important papers I always get someone to check on my commas for me...nevertheless I get GMAT SC right.

Commas are only there to help you on sentence correction not to be a burden. If the comma can guide you then take the hint. But here B, C, AND D all have the comma in the same place - since A and E are out with the relative clause missing you have NO CHOICE on the comma.

This sentence may be painful to you to choose B, but remember the correct answer is not necessarily a sentence you would have written - just the best of the 5!
thanks a lot david for your response :-).........according to you,could such a confusing question prompt on main GMAT?????????

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:46 pm
You have to deal with complex sentences like this one by doing what we call at Veritas "slash and burn" or I sometimes call "eliminate the clutter."

Here is the original sentence.
"The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether."
Here is the sentence with the modifiers and prepositions highlighted.

"The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether."

Now read the sentence without the portions in red - it is simpler and cleaner. Now in this case you have to use part of the modifiers in red to make a decision but in most cases the modifiers can get out of your way.

So maybe it is a big convoluted but not bad.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by a_new_start » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:19 pm
David@VeritasPrep wrote:You have to deal with complex sentences like this one by doing what we call at Veritas "slash and burn" or I sometimes call "eliminate the clutter."

Here is the original sentence.
Here is the sentence with the modifiers and prepositions highlighted.

Now read the sentence without the portions in red - it is simpler and cleaner. Now in this case you have to use part of the modifiers in red to make a decision but in most cases the modifiers can get out of your way.

So maybe it is a big convoluted but not bad.

David

Thanks a lot for your never ending support.

Can you please explain what is wrong with 'with' in choice C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:41 pm
a_new_start wrote:
David@VeritasPrep wrote: Can you please explain what is wrong with 'with' in choice C
A clause has both a subject and a verb.
A preposition such as with cannot be followed by a clause.
C: with large, integrated companies...have greatly downsized
Here, with is incorrectly followed by a clause (large, integrated companies have greatly downsized).
Eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by a_new_start » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:57 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
a_new_start wrote:
David@VeritasPrep wrote: Can you please explain what is wrong with 'with' in choice C
Here, with is incorrectly followed by a clause (large, integrated companies have greatly downsized).
Eliminate C.
Thank You Mitch. Point taken.

The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

Option C) The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

What I know is "comma + with" construction works as an adverbial modifier modifying the action of the previous clause.
The verb in the previous clause is "has changed". If I check the usage of 'with' this way, is it correct ?

Can I say the steel industry has changed with companies such as BS that once conducted (blah blah...)

Would like to hear from you.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:31 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
a_new_start wrote:
Eliminate C.

Please explain this in detail as I am confused.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:23 am
richachampion wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:A clause has both a subject and a verb.
Eliminate C.

C: The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, with large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel, that once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized.
The two colored portions above function as modifiers.
If we omit these modifiers, we get:
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, with large, integrated companies have greatly downsized.
Here, the portion in red constitutes a clause, since it contains both a subject (large, integrated companies) and a verb (have greatly downsized).
As mentioned in my post above, a preposition such as with cannot serve to introduce a clause.
Eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:06 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
richachampion wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:A clause has both a subject and a verb.
Eliminate C.

C: The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, with large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel, that once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized.
The two colored portions above function as modifiers.
If we omit these modifiers, we get:
The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, with large, integrated companies have greatly downsized.
Here, the portion in red constitutes a clause, since it contains both a subject (large, integrated companies) and a verb (have greatly downsized).
As mentioned in my post above, a preposition such as with cannot serve to introduce a clause.
Eliminate C.
Thanks, I have taken a note of this.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)