Nonprofit Work Experience

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Nonprofit Work Experience

by jplats » Mon May 15, 2006 12:17 pm
Hi, Stacy.
I am currently preparing to take the GMAT, but am already starting to think about which schools I would like to apply to -- shooting for about four or five. My academic record in college was very strong, and assuming I do well enough on the GMATs, I would like to ultimately end up at a top 10 school.

The one factor I'm not sure about is my work experience. I've worked at the same organization since I left college -- the national headquarters of a major progressive/political nonprofit org. I've been promoted twice since I started here, and all the positions I've held have been in the editorial/writing area. Any thoughts on how this type of background will be evaluated by top 10 schools? And any thought on which of those schools might be most receptive to this type of backround?

I guess there are essentially three things I'm concerned about -- the fact that I've been at the same organization since college (almost four years), the fact that it's a nonprofit, and the fact that my work experience is editorial.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue May 16, 2006 8:52 am
I am not at all concerned that you have been at the same job for four years, particularly because you have been promoted. That demonstrates commitment, focus and career progression. I am also not concerned that it is a non-profit organization. This can be a differentiating factor for you and an important part of your story. A non-profit is as legitimate a form of business as banking, and many programs actually have a dedicated not for profit specialty or degree. The only thing that may be a concern is the fact that your role has been strictly editorial.

My gutt is that editorial is a fairly solitary job and does not allow many opportunities for leadership or teamwork. One of your challenges will be to show that you have done more than write for four years - you have successfully interacted with many different types of people, you have managed projects or groups of people, you have taken initiative, you have creatively addressed problems - you have made things happen for your organization. This will be what is of interest to an admissions committee, not the fact that you are a strong writer.

You may also need to prove your quant skills. If your background is purely liberal arts and writing, you will need to demonstrate that you can handle the highly quantitative curriculum at a top business school. You should consider enrolling in a calculus or accounting course, depending on your undergraduate record. Your GMAT score will also play a role in proving your quant abilities.

Finally, the burden is on you to show why you need the MBA degree. What are your career goals and how will business school help you get there? This will be a very important part of your story. If you can effectively address all of these areas, any top school will take you seriously as a candidate. The key will be proving that you are a leader, not just a writer.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me