Number of Questions Per Passage?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Number of Questions Per Passage?

by ldoolitt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:42 am
In the GMAT TODAY about how many questions are there per passage in the RC section, assuming my target score is really high?

Currently in doing the OG problems I typically see a long passage with between 5 and 8 questions. I spend about 4 minutes reading the passage (high) but only about a minute on each question (low). For a 5 question set that's about 9 minutes total with an average under 2 minutes which is good.

But if there are a lot of long passages with only 3 questions that method puts me long on time. I think I saw somewhere else that it was said current GMAT RC questions fall into this category.

Any insight on this?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:02 am
ldoolitt wrote:In the GMAT TODAY about how many questions are there per passage in the RC section, assuming my target score is really high?
Mostly 2 Long passage and 2 Sort.

In Long passage 4 Que / passage & in sort 3 Que / passage.

But this is general trend, it might differ in some cases.
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ldoolitt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:53 am
Target2009 wrote:
ldoolitt wrote:In the GMAT TODAY about how many questions are there per passage in the RC section, assuming my target score is really high?
Mostly 2 Long passage and 2 Sort.

In Long passage 4 Que / passage & in sort 3 Que / passage.

But this is general trend, it might differ in some cases.
So why in the world does the OG present like 8 questions per passage? Not that I'm arguing, I just wonder why.

I think I'm just going to practice by doing the first 4 questions for each passage, for all the problems. Then come back when I don't remember the passage anymore and do the last couple.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:58 am
ldoolitt wrote: So why in the world does the OG present like 8 questions per passage? Not that I'm arguing, I just wonder why.

I think I'm just going to practice by doing the first 4 questions for each passage, for all the problems. Then come back when I don't remember the passage anymore and do the last couple.
That is because OG contain Retired GMAT question. And on any given Passage GMAC prepare Some different difficulty questions. 3 to 4 of them appeared depending on your performance in GMAT. Now since Passage got retire and appeared in OG, GMAC provide all those question for practice. You can still opt to solve 3-4 on first go and then when u reach at end come back and solve the rest.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student