Analysis of Argument - Template - Premise or Assumption?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey guys,

I used the template provided here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/argument-ess ... 38032.html a couple of times and I really really like it. However, I don't understand when do draw a distinction between premise and assumption. In general I understand what the difference is, just in the context of an analysis of an argument I don't. I am taking my test on Monday and I am going nuts here. Could somebody, maybe based on the very first Analysis of an Argument Statement on page 796 in the OG 12, explain me what the difference is?

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:31 pm
Assumption is information unstated that, when added to the premises, proves the conclusion.

The assumption underlying a conditional statement is that the necessary condition must occur in order for the sufficient condition to occur. The assumption in these arguments always protects the necessary condition.

Premise indicators:
because
since
for
for example
for the reason that
in that
given that
as indicated by
due to
owing to
this can be seen from
we know this by
Furthermore
Moreover
Besides
In addition
What's more
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:37 am
I think of it like Evidence (stated facts) + Assumptions (unstated facts) = Conclusion.

The assumptions are what need to be true in order for the given evidence to logically lead to the stated conclusion.
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by talueng » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:49 am
I am opening this again because the replies above don't satisfy me. Can someone please elaborate the difference between a premise and an assumption?

Is it correct to say that a premise can be (but not necessarily has to be) an assumption made?

For instance, in:
"Since all men are mortal and Socrates is a man, Socrates is mortal."

The premises for the conclusion that Socrates is mortal is that "all men are mortal" and "Socrates is a man". While both are premises, the first premise, "all men are mortal" is an assumption.

In sum, a premise is a claim that is a reason for, or an objection against, a conclusion in an argument. A might be an assumption or be based on an assumption, but could as well be a fact or be based on a fact.

Please also clarify what a stimulus is in the context of an argument or passage to read.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Ruca » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:28 am
I also have a problem understanding the difference between the two. Is there anyone who could explain?

Thanks in advance

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by chojung » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:14 pm
"All men are mortal, therefore Socrates is mortal"

Premise: All men are mortal
Assertion: Socrates is mortal

Assumption: Socrates is a man (unstated condition)