GMAT not yet over for me 640 (Q49, V28)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

GMAT not yet over for me 640 (Q49, V28)

by kulksnikhil » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:01 pm
Hello Eric and friends,

I just took my GMAT on monday and the score has not been satisfactory. Though I got good score in Quant (49) My verbal has been terrible.

I would attribute this to my over confidence in Verbal/less confidence in Quant.

Earlier in the OG Diagonistic test, I did find out that, my verbal needs to be improved. So I started with verbals. Between I realised my verbal has come to some steady state and so started with quant and realised that, I have realy neglected quant a lot. So in panic I studied more of Quant, giving confidence to my self that "OK don't worry, your Verbal is better".

But in the end, Quant, though it came well, verbal went real bad.

Well, as far as my Quant is concerned, I have to thank those who helped me on board "Beatthegmat". Eric, aim-wsc , raj, 800guy, and many others.

But the battle is still not over, would be great if you could give me some tips upon improving my verbals. I am planning first increase my reading speed. Planning to use some software for the purpose.

Please advice.

thanks and regards,
Nikhil

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by 800guy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:33 pm
hey man, sorry to hear about your disappointment...but you totally CRACKED the quant!!

i'm sure you'll break 700 on your retake. good luck

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
Hi Nikhil:

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't reach your goal for the GMAT on Monday--but as 800guy stated, you did a fantastic job on your quant! I'm glad to hear that this performance has not deterred your ambitions for retaking and getting a 700+.

I encourage you to leverage this forum to help you get prepped for verbal. Do you have a sense yet of where your weaknesses lie? How about your strengths? Also, what kind of scores where you getting on the verbal sections through your practice tests?

Here's one resource you might want to look at for your RC: https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=76

Best of luck! Everyone here really wants to see you succeed.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:35 am
dEAR Nikhil,
i have been checking your posts and progress and from the day you first posted here.

I am sorry to hear the you couldnt get to your desired level. still i am glad to see the positive energy of yours to bounce back. and fight.

Thanks for that you showed courage to come back and fight back.

Next time i am sure you not only beat Verbal but also improve in your Math.

tonight i ll be starting a new thread for GMAT test takers for JAN/FEB & MArch

Coincidentally i am also planning to take the test in coming months
Join the thread and
WE WILL WORK TOGETHER TO BEAT THE GMAT :)

[ek mekaas sahayya karu, avaghe dharu supanth !! :D )

by kulksnikhil » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:52 pm
Hi eric, aim-wsc and 800guy,

thanks for ur support.

Just came back from one full week break... :-) have installed a Software for speed reading.. got to use that for improving my reading speed.

And regarding ur question, during my preperations, I used to score, between 43-44 in Quant and 28-38 in verbal. I don't know, what made me think, I am good at verbals :( But then in Quant 43-44 isn't enough either for a 700+ score.

I think where I went wrong was,

1. Haven't had proper sleep (may be coz of test pressure)
2. I lost track of time solving first RC. Had I somehow crossed the first RC with in time, I would have got more time solving the CRs and SC between first and second RC. Where may be I could have scored better also complete the entire test

Hey aim-wsc !!

Where is the thread u have started... could u please give me the link for the same?

thanks and regards,
Nikhil

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:09 pm
https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=994

:|
four people casted a vote mine was Feb 2007.

i dont know who are others...

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:03 pm
kulksnikhil wrote:Hi eric, aim-wsc and 800guy,

thanks for ur support.

Just came back from one full week break... :-) have installed a Software for speed reading.. got to use that for improving my reading speed.

And regarding ur question, during my preperations, I used to score, between 43-44 in Quant and 28-38 in verbal. I don't know, what made me think, I am good at verbals :( But then in Quant 43-44 isn't enough either for a 700+ score.

I think where I went wrong was,

1. Haven't had proper sleep (may be coz of test pressure)
2. I lost track of time solving first RC. Had I somehow crossed the first RC with in time, I would have got more time solving the CRs and SC between first and second RC. Where may be I could have scored better also complete the entire test

Hey aim-wsc !!

Where is the thread u have started... could u please give me the link for the same?

thanks and regards,
Nikhil
Hi Nikhil:

Nice to see you back from your one-week break!

From what you've told me, it sounds like you have the capacity to score a 700+ on the GMAT. Moving forward, I would take a lot of practice tests to work on your pacing, especially in the verbal section.

Also, I hope you spend some time diagnosing the variance of your performance in the verbal section (28-38)! What made you score a 28 on some tests and a 38 on others? Have you done an effective job to date in identifying your weaknesses, and building up those areas?

Best of luck to you! Please keep us updated with your progress!

by kulksnikhil » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:19 pm
beatthegmat wrote:
Hi Nikhil:

Nice to see you back from your one-week break!

From what you've told me, it sounds like you have the capacity to score a 700+ on the GMAT. Moving forward, I would take a lot of practice tests to work on your pacing, especially in the verbal section.

Also, I hope you spend some time diagnosing the variance of your performance in the verbal section (28-38)! What made you score a 28 on some tests and a 38 on others? Have you done an effective job to date in identifying your weaknesses, and building up those areas?

Best of luck to you! Please keep us updated with your progress!
Well, my main problem has been reading slow and not comprehending everything that I read. Mainly in RCs and CRs and SC has been fine. I have understood the strategies used in SCs.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:57 pm
It's going to take a lot of practice and experimentation to improve the pace/comprehension of your reading. Glad to hear though you are going through some training for your reading...

Best of luck!