The spectacular disintegration

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

The spectacular disintegration

by clock60 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:41 am
The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force a rethinking of the role of comets in the delivery of organic compounds to the evolving earth.

A. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force

B. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

C. When a comet's spectacular disintegration occurred in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes last year, it provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

D. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, a comet's spectacular disintegration provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

E. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, the spectacular disintegration of a comet has provided new insights into how comets form and may thus force
oa is A why not E

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by pesfunk » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:47 pm
With manhattan explanation:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/sc-prep-t2-q91-52991.html
clock60 wrote:The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force a rethinking of the role of comets in the delivery of organic compounds to the evolving earth.

A. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force

B. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

C. When a comet's spectacular disintegration occurred in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes last year, it provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

D. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, a comet's spectacular disintegration provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

E. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, the spectacular disintegration of a comet has provided new insights into how comets form and may thus force
oa is A why not E

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:21 pm
To highlight from that thread, the present perfect in E really dooms it -- you won't have a present perfect taking place last year (though you could have an event last year causing something in the present perfect, as with The Green Bay Packers' training and discipline last year has brought them a Super Bowl Victory this year)

Legendary Member

by clock60 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:30 am
hi pesfunk
thank you for link, i am happy now, honestly try to find the given sentence in BTG but was not satisfied with results

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:29 pm
PLS, HELP.

what dose "last year" in A, correct choice, modify ?

normally, adverbial modify verb or adjective. These cases are easy.

Dose C have any other error than "may possibly"?

I think gmatprep questions should be studied carefully because gmatprep is only official source of hard question

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:13 am
I agree that oa is A. But I need help

in A, "last year" is adverbial and modify what . pls, help.

Normally, I see adverbial modify verb, adjective and other adverb. In A, I do not understand "last year" modify what.

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:10 pm
I really need help. pls, explain, "last year" in A modify what. "last year" is noun group, which can be adverbial. But this adverbial modify what. I do not understand. pls, help.

thank you.

Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:11 am
It modifies "Disintegration of comet"

by vishal.pathak » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:01 pm
clock60 wrote:The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force a rethinking of the role of comets in the delivery of organic compounds to the evolving earth.

oa is A why not E
I have read that a sentence with verd-ed or verb-ing and without a helping verb is a fragment. This law will make A,B,C & D as fragments.

PLEASE CORRECT MY UNDERSTANDING

Regards,
Vishal

by amit2k9 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:39 am
Its a clean A here.
E uses present perfect form with a has usage.This is wrong.

More so my 2 cents on Vishal's query -

Writing into the wee hours - fragment
Writing into the wee hours,is one of my favorite hobbies. - Complete sentence.
takeaway - a fragment can be used to express a complete sentence.

Without the usage of a helping verb in 'provided' clause the meaning is clean.
For Understanding Sustainability,Green Businesses and Social Entrepreneurship visit -https://aamthoughts.blocked/
(Featured Best Green Site Worldwide-https://bloggers.com/green/popular/page2)

by vishal.pathak » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:48 pm
vishal.pathak wrote:

oa is A why not E
I have read that a sentence with verd-ed or verb-ing and without a helping verb is a fragment. This law will make A,B,C & D as fragments.

Regards,
Vishal
Experts, Please help

Regards

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members

by avik.ch » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 pm
Hii vishal,

I am not an expert, but would like to give my views on this.

"verd-ed or verb-ing and without a helping verb is a fragment" - there are no such written rules. Which book you are referring to ? The usage is dependent on the usage and how the sentence is constructed.

I loved her. - this is not a fragment. "loved" is a simple past tense.
last year, i travelled to .... - "travelled" is a simple past tense.

Similarly in A,B,C and D - "provided" is a verb and not a noun.

by vishal.pathak » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:18 am
avik.ch wrote:Hii vishal,

"verd-ed or verb-ing and without a helping verb is a fragment" - there are no such written rules. Which book you are referring to ? The usage is dependent on the usage and how the sentence is constructed.

Hi Avik,

I found this law in the following post

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=522. It says that

"Note that verb-ing not used with is/are/was/were/am does not act as the verb of the sentence."

Regards,
Vishal

by vishal.pathak » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:00 am
vishal.pathak wrote:

oa is A why not E

Regards,
Vishal
Hello e-GMAT one of your laws is in question. Please help

Regards,
Vishal

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members

by avik.ch » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:10 am
vishal.pathak wrote:
avik.ch wrote:Hii vishal,

Hi Avik,

I found this law in the following post

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=522. It says that

"Note that verb-ing not used with is/are/was/were/am does not act as the verb of the sentence."

Regards,
Vishal
Thanks for the ing verb reference !! I never noted it as a thumb rule !!
Thanks !!