Reading Comprehension Author's Attitude

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Reading Comprehension Author's Attitude

by Balrog1978 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:21 pm
I've come across some of these quite a few times and was wondering if anyone could help me understand the difference between the following author's tones:

1) Objective vs Analytical
2) Questioning vs Critical

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:04 am
I'll have to look at specific examples to see the context, but the differences between the two seems too minute to warrant elimination just on these grounds. If one answer choice includes questioning X, and the other answer choice uses critical Y, I would actually examine the X and the Y for reasons to eliminate one or the other. Critical is perhaps a slightly stronger word, so all other things being equal, I'd prefer "questioning", but I doubt that you'll be put in this situation - there has to be a reason why one is better than the other, and the differences here are just not it.

The same goes for objective Vs. Analytical. Analytical is perhaps better if the author actually does some analyzing, but in general both are neutral terms and I can see both as applicable to a wide variety of instances. Again, I'll need to look at specific examples to see whether they warrant one or the other, but generally I'd look for he answer elsewhere.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com