what GMAT score will make me eligible for a scholarship?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
hi there
I'm a complete newbie here. I'm planning to take GMAT. but I need to know something for that. I need a scholarship to pursue studies in US otherwise I can't. I'm confident that if I try hard I can get a score of 710-720...but the question is will that score enable me to get a scholarship/RA/TA?....(Business schools don't really matter for me, any moderate university will do for me...I just wanna get my MBA from an american university...and I'm not really dreaming of the top tiers anyway).
Btw, I have 5 years of work experience with me but with a low CGPA in undergrad (Bachelor of Business Administration).

please suggest me something.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:25 pm
Dear masudul:

Scholarship decisions are not based on GMAT score alone, just like admissions decisions. Schools take many dimensions of your application into account to determine whether or not to award a scholarship. It is also rare to receive a full scholarship to MBA programs, although it is more common from schools that are generally outside of the top 30 in most rankings.

The best way to position yourself for scholarship awards is to score in the 700s on your GMAT, submit a strong application, and distinguish yourself from other candidates with similar profiles to yours.

Best of luck to you!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sashish007 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:46 pm
Lisa Anderson wrote:Dear masudul:

Scholarship decisions are not based on GMAT score alone, just like admissions decisions. Schools take many dimensions of your application into account to determine whether or not to award a scholarship. It is also rare to receive a full scholarship to MBA programs, although it is more common from schools that are generally outside of the top 30 in most rankings.

The best way to position yourself for scholarship awards is to score in the 700s on your GMAT, submit a strong application, and distinguish yourself from other candidates with similar profiles to yours.

Best of luck to you!
Lisa
Lisa,

thanks for the answer. although i agree with the similarities between the decision making process for granting admissions and that for scholarships, i have some doubts as to how a good GMAT score and GPA cannot help a student gain a scholarship.

from my understanding, there are two major criteria for scholarships:
a. need
b. merit
many would express a. but everyone cannot show b.

i am also afraid if the method you indicated applies to scholarships outside schools, such as getting federal grants, and funding from charitable institutions. wouldn't these be very competitive based on GPA or test-score cut-offs?

appreciate your thoughts.

regards,
Ashish
Ashish
Share not just why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong ones are not.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:26 pm
Dear Ashish,

A good GMAT and GPA can help an applicant be considered for scholarship awards, but it is not the only criteria for merit. Work experience, community involvement and other experiences will also be considered based on the specifications of the scholarship award. For some awards, there is specific criteria a recipient must meet--it can be anything from gender or race to undergraduate institution to intended career path. Whatever the donor who supplied the funds determines the criteria to be, that will be what the school must honor in determining the recipient of that specific scholarship. Scholarships are different from grants (primarily need-based) and loans. Likewise, scholarships awarded through the school are different from those awarded by a private institution (which you would apply for directly to the institution based on whether you meet the institution's specified criteria). So, yes, need and merit come into play, generally speaking, but oftentimes, there is more specific criteria to define merit and/or need.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by sashish007 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:02 am
Hi Lisa,

To paraphrase, the major criterion for scholarships in general (schools or outside) would primarily be determined by the intent of the donor: individual or organization. For instance, if a donor represents a minority community, then that criterion would supersede others (such as GMAT and GPA) in determining eligibility first and foremost, and then once that is done, the merit criteria would probably kick in to grant the scholarship to, lets say, 30% of the eligible pool of students.

Also, just to be sure we are on the same page - does our discussion apply to any B-school applicant, including international students? Because I'll be applying as an international student, and I am not eligible for FAFSA or Federal Stafford loans and/or grants.

Regards,
Ashish
Ashish
Share not just why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong ones are not.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:49 pm
In the US, international applicants are not eligible for federal aid like grants or Stafford Loans. Schools will vary on whether or not international admits are eligible for scholarship awards, based on specified criteria and/or university policy. Generally speaking, yes the intent of the donor must be honored in awarding scholarship funds. In the event the donor does not specify criteria, then it will be awarded based on merit and/or need. How many students receive awards varies greatly by school as schools have different amounts of funds and policies on how they administer awards.

My advice to you is to apply with the best application possible and include some safety options in the mix. The more "above average" you are in the eyes of the admissions committee, the better your chances are for any awards you might be eligible to receive.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by sashish007 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:44 am
Yes, that's quite true. For instance, when I went to HBS for an information session, the adcom said the typical average is 22-23K per student and that every student gets something.

As part of your consulting practice, do you assist prospective candidates in writing scholarship essays, both school and outside? If so, I would be interested.

Thanks,
Ashish
Ashish

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:34 pm
We assist MBA applicants with all parts of the admissions process. For detail on our pricing and services, please visit our website at www.stacyblackman.com. Thanks for your interest in our services!
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jiwansingh2010 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:20 am
hi lisa,
i wanted to apply for a MBA in the fall,2013.What are the chances of getting a scholarship in the second round of admissions in the universities.As i would be taking my GMAT paper in dec,2012.
Could you please suggest some good universities for MBA in finance who provide scholarship for the course

Regards
J Singh