Disequilibrium at the interface of water and air....

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Disequilibrium at the interface of water and air is a factor on which the transfer of heat and water vapor from the ocean to the air depends. The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost saturated with water vapor and the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water. Irrespective of how small these differences might be, they are crucial, and the disequilibrium is maintained by air near the surface mixing with air higher up, which is typically appreciably cooler and lower in water vapor content. The turbulence, which takes its energy from the wind mixes the air. As the speed of wind increases, so does the turbulence, and consequently the rate of heat and moisture transfer. We can arrive at a detailed understanding of this phenomenon after further study. The transfer of momentum from wind to water, which occurs when waves are formed is an interacting-and complicated phenomenon. When waves are made by the wind, it transfers important amounts of energy-energy, which is consequently not available for the production of turbulence.

1. This passage principally intends to:
1. resolve a controversy
2. attempt a description of a phenomenon
3. sketch a theory
4. reinforce certain research findings
5. tabulate various observations

2. The wind over the ocean usually does which of the following according to the given passage?
I. Leads to cool, dry air coming in proximity with the ocean surface.
II. Maintains a steady rate of heat and moisture transfer between the ocean and the air.
III. Results in frequent changes in the ocean surface temperature.
1. I only
2. II only
3. I and II only
4. II and III only
5. I, II, and III

3. According to the author the present knowledge regarding heat and moisture transfer from the ocean to air as
1. revolutionary
2. inconsequential
3. outdated
4. derivative
5. incomplete

4. According to the given passage, in case the wind was to decrease until there was no wind at all, which of the following would occur?
1. The air, which is closest to the ocean surface would get saturated with water vapor.
2. The water would be cooler than the air closest to the ocean surface.
3. There would be a decrease in the amount of moisture in the air closest to the ocean surface.
4. There would be an increase in the rate of heat and moisture transfer.
5. The temperature of the air closest to the ocean and that of the air higher up would be the same.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by aspire_mba2013 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:47 am
My Understanding :

Important recommendations for this kind of passage:

We cannot Skim it.
No shortcuts.
Such passages, require detailed attention from the beginning - as this passage explains a scientific process of how the vapors, winds, ocean waves etc - different processes.
Initial passage can take a moment to understand, but is a must.

1. resolve a controversy ( there is no controversy, mentioned in the passage)
2. attempt a description of a phenomenon Correct - this option is dear to the passage
3. sketch a theory Didin't seem like author is sketching a theory
4. reinforce certain research findings No reinforcing
5. tabulate various observations tabulate - refers to arrange in a tabular format, this doesn't seem to be the case

2. The wind over the ocean usually does which of the following according to the given passage?

Correct

Disequilibrium at the interface of water and air is a factor on which the transfer of heat and water vapor from the ocean to the air depends. The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost saturated with water vapor and the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water.

II. Maintains a steady rate of heat and moisture transfer between the ocean and the air.

Correct
Disequilibrium at the interface of water and air is a factor on which the transfer of heat and water vapor from the ocean to the air depends.

The wind over the ocean is not responsible - this is inverse of what is mentioned in the second passage - the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water. this simply states - WIND temperature is impacted by the sea water or rather the temperature at the water surface impacts the wind's temperature.

The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost saturated with water vapor and the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water.

1. I only
2. II only
3. I and II only CORRECT
4. II and III only
5. I, II, and III

3. According to the author the present knowledge regarding heat and moisture transfer from the ocean to air as
1. revolutionary
2. inconsequential
3. outdated
4. derivative
5. incomplete CORRECT -Please refer , the second last line..."We can arrive at a detailed understanding of this phenomenon after further study." - Author never said - this knowledge is any of the above four options

4. According to the given passage, in case the wind was to decrease until there was no wind at all, which of the following would occur?
1. The air, which is closest to the ocean surface would get saturated with water vapor. Incorrect
2. The water would be cooler than the air closest to the ocean surface. Incorrect - their would be decrease in water vapors as, water vapor content will be impacted and not the cooler water vapor -
3. There would be a decrease in the amount of moisture in the air closest to the ocean surface. Correct, - The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost saturated with water vapor and the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water
4. There would be an increase in the rate of heat and moisture transfer. Incorrect
5. The temperature of the air closest to the ocean and that of the air higher up would be the same. Incorrect

My take on option is "Water vapor content" - so I chose C.

Let me know , if this helps - or any other views.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by abhiyudya » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:55 am
hi,
nice tips by aspire_mba2013.
IMO answers are:

1. resolve a controversy
3. sketch a theory

(explained by aspire)

1. I only
2. II only
3. I and II only
4. II and III only
5. I, II, and III

for Q2- IMO answer is 1. only I is correct.
in (ii) word steady rate of heat &...transfer.... so. ii is out.

1. revolutionary
2. inconsequential
3. outdated
4. derivative
5. incomplete

Q3. answer is 5.

1. The air, which is closest to the ocean surface would get saturated with water vapor.
3. There would be a decrease in the amount of moisture in the air closest to the ocean surface.
5. The temperature of the air closest to the ocean and that of the air higher up would be the same.

IMO 1 is the answer.

does anybody know the OA. pl.

by Shawshank » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:51 am
abhiyudya wrote:hi,
IMO answers are:

1. resolve a controversy
3. sketch a theory

(explained by aspire)

1. I only
2. II only
3. I and II only
4. II and III only
5. I, II, and III

1. revolutionary
2. inconsequential
3. outdated
4. derivative
5. incomplete

Q3. answer is 5.

IMO 1 is the answer.

Can you explain the answers 2 and 4
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawshank Redemtion -- Hope is still alive ...

Followed by:1 members

by BellTheGMAT » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:40 pm
pzazz12 wrote:Disequilibrium at the interface of water and air is a factor on which the transfer of heat and water vapor from the ocean to the air depends. The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost saturated with water vapor and the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water. Irrespective of how small these differences might be, they are crucial, and the disequilibrium is maintained by air near the surface mixing with air higher up, which is typically appreciably cooler and lower in water vapor content. The turbulence, which takes its energy from the wind mixes the air. As the speed of wind increases, so does the turbulence, and consequently the rate of heat and moisture transfer. We can arrive at a detailed understanding of this phenomenon after further study. The transfer of momentum from wind to water, which occurs when waves are formed is an interacting-and complicated phenomenon. When waves are made by the wind, it transfers important amounts of energy-energy, which is consequently not available for the production of turbulence.

1. resolve a controversy
3. sketch a theory

1. I only
2. II only
3. I and II only
4. II and III only
5. I, II, and III

1. revolutionary
2. inconsequential
3. outdated
4. derivative
5. incomplete

What are the OAs?? and OEs for this passage?

by smayekar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:40 pm
My Answers

B
A
E
E

Could not quiet understand the passage even after several readings.

Official answers + Explanations please

GMAT Score:750

by ashforgmat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:45 pm
IMHO ...

1 ...B
2....A
3....E
4....A

Please post the OA.

THanks...

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:22 am
Shawshank wrote:
IMO answers are:

5. incomplete

oes anybody know the OA. pl.
Can you explain the answers 2 and 4
4)If there is no wind, there will be no transfer of momentum, no energy, no transfer of water vapour becaus ethere is no mixing of air near the surface with the air higher up.So 1 is correct.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:26 am
IMO answers are:

1. resolve a controversy
3. sketch a theory

(explained by aspire)

1. I only
2. II only
3. I and II only
4. II and III only
5. I, II, and III

1. revolutionary
2. inconsequential
3. outdated
4. derivative
5. incomplete

Q3. answer is 5.

IMO 1 is the answer.

My answers are the same for all

by littlebunny » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:58 am
For the 4th question:

I got A:

' The turbulence, which takes its energy from the wind mixes the air. As the speed of wind increases, so does the turbulence, and consequently the rate of heat and moisture transfer.'

by Rezinka » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:23 pm
IMO :
1. B
2. A
3. E
4. A

Explanation : same as of abhiyudya

OA please

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:44 am
Rezinka wrote:IMO :
1. B
2. A
3. E
4. A

Explanation : same as of abhiyudya

OA please
This quest was posted on the 21st Oct.

by Rezinka » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:52 am
Alright..!!
We can still ask for the answers if we're not sure right..!!
As far as I see pzazz12 hasn't posted the correct answers as yet.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:27 am
I think if we were all to PM him , then he mightb probably answer zzz

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sujamait » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:03 am
pzazz12 wrote:Disequilibrium at the interface of water and air is a factor on which the transfer of heat and water vapor from the ocean to the air depends. The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost saturated with water vapor and the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water. Irrespective of how small these differences might be, they are crucial, and the disequilibrium is maintained by air near the surface mixing with air higher up, which is typically appreciably cooler and lower in water vapor content. The turbulence, which takes its energy from the wind mixes the air. As the speed of wind increases, so does the turbulence, and consequently the rate of heat and moisture transfer. We can arrive at a detailed understanding of this phenomenon after further study. The transfer of momentum from wind to water, which occurs when waves are formed is an interacting-and complicated phenomenon. When waves are made by the wind, it transfers important amounts of energy-energy, which is consequently not available for the production of turbulence.

1. resolve a controversy
3. sketch a theory

1. I only
2. II only
3. I and II only
4. II and III only
5. I, II, and III

1. revolutionary
2. inconsequential
3. outdated
4. derivative
5. incomplete

I think
1. 2 [quite obvious]
2. 4 [Ist is wrong as it says , cool and 'dry',the air saturated with water is dry ?? doesn't sound logical to me]
3. 5 [due to. "We can arrive at a detailed understanding of this phenomenon after further study"]
4. 1 [using option elimination here]

Wats the OA guys!

Suja pasha!