mgmat-rc-27

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

mgmat-rc-27

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:57 pm
For years, U.S. employers have counted on a steady flow of labor from Mexico willing to accept low-skilled, low paying jobs. These workers, many of whom leave economically depressed villages in the Mexican interior, are often more than willing to work for wages well below both the U.S. minimum wage and the poverty line. However, thanks to a dramatic demographic shift currently taking place in Mexico, the seemingly inexhaustible supply of workers migrating from Mexico to the United States might one day greatly diminish if not cease.
Predictions of such a drastic decrease in the number of Mexican immigrants, both legal and illegal, are driven by Mexico's rapidly diminishing population growth. As a result of a decades-long family planning campaign, most Mexicans are having far fewer children than was the norm a generation ago. The campaign, organized around the slogan that "the small family lives better," saw the Mexican government establish family-planning clinics and offer free contraception. For nearly three decades, the government's message concerning population hasn't wavered. In fact, the Mexican Senate recently voted to extend public school GMAT education programs to kindergarten.
The result of Mexico's efforts to stem population growth is nothing short of stunning. In 1968, the average Mexican woman had just fewer than seven children; today, the figure is slightly more than two. For two primary reasons, Mexico's new demographics could greatly impact the number of Mexicans seeking work in the U.S. First, smaller families by their nature limit the pool of potential migrants. Second, the slowing of Mexico's population growth has fostered hope that Mexico will develop a healthy middle class of people content to make their livelihoods in their home country.
Though the former of these factors is all but assured, the growth of a healthy middle class is far from a foregone conclusion. The critical challenge for Mexico is what it does with the next 20 years. Mexico must invest in education, job training, and infrastructure, as well as a social-security system to protect its aging population. If Mexico is willing to step forward and meet this challenge, America may one day wake up to find that, like cheap gasoline, cheap Mexican labor has become a thing of the past.

Which of the following can be inferred about Mexico's family planning campaign?

At the beginning of the campaign, Mexico was one of the world's fastest growing countries.
Family planning clinics were established in both urban and rural areas.
The information in the campaign was geared solely toward Mexican women.
GMAT education was implemented for children in public schools.
The slogan "the small family lives better" was only used during the early stages of the campaign.
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by paddle_sweep » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:12 am

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by selango » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:21 am
IMO C
--Anand--

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:41 pm
paddle_sweep wrote:I will go with '[spoiler]D'[/spoiler]. Pls post OA.
IMO...GMAT education was not a part of campaign..

Legendary Member

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:46 pm
why E is wrong?

oa is D
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:11 pm
pradeepkaushal9518 wrote:why E is wrong?

oa is D
passage just says Senate "voted" to "extend" SE programs in KG. It never said " it got "Implemented".

There is a subtle difference between "extend" and" implement"

I realy wont accept OA as D

@Adi--any thoughts

@Anand..---Any thoughts?

I feel select F

Legendary Member

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:14 pm
ya govi i am also not convinced from oa. option E is clearly written in the passage so i have choosen E.

hey manhattan experts plz help its your baby
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:41 pm
pradeepkaushal9518 wrote:ya govi i am also not convinced from oa. option E is clearly written in the passage so i have choosen E.

hahhaha..cool dude...

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:47 am
pradeepkaushal9518 wrote:ya govi i am also not convinced from oa. option E is clearly written in the passage so i have choosen E.

E uses "only" which is NOT implied in the passage. SO E can't be answer!

Legendary Member

by selango » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:15 am
Option E is not correct as nowhere its mentioned slogan is only used in early stages of campaign.

I am now confused between C and D.

D seems to be correct.

For nearly three decades, the government's message concerning population hasn't wavered.
In fact, the Mexican Senate recently voted to extend public school GMAT education programs to kindergarten.

As per the argument the GMAT education is already implemented in Public school and senate vote to extend it to KG.This suggest that it is indeed due to family campaign GMAT education was implemented in public school.

Again I may be wrong.Any thoughts?
--Anand--

Legendary Member

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:22 am
hey selango what the kindergarten children will understand about GMAT he he he he..............................
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Legendary Member

by selango » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:47 pm
He..he..I am not going to argue about that.

Option D states that "GMAT education was implemented for children in public schools."

It is implemented in public school due to this family campaign.
--Anand--

Legendary Member

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 pm
now i am also convinced with D
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by lilisanei » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Yes, I think D is correct.