TOEFL SCORES OUT - DISAPPOINTED

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

TOEFL SCORES OUT - DISAPPOINTED

by shweta.aec » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:13 am
I was waiting for a long time to type this post.So here it comes

Experience on TOEFL DAY
------------------------------------
Worst. Trust me it was worst than even any mock test I would have ever taken for GMAT.The waiting hall was far better than the testing site. The testing site appeared to me like a haunted place and more of a call center than a test center. There was no AC in the computer testing lab. Yes, there wasn't and I gave my exam in Chennai (one of the hottest cities in India). That is not all , there was not even a proper washroom.

Okay chuck all of these. The registration begun. The first question by the center manager - Is this you ? Oh, well ofcourse yes it is me. How am I supposed to look same in 2003 and 2010?Anyways I showed him another ID for proof. I was allocated a seat and I just began reading the instructions. Guess what ? My headphone was not working :( Okay I am shifted to another seat. Again instruction going on. Oops now the speaker is not working . Oh hell yeah! change the seat again. After all that finally I logged into a system where in I was able to start my reading section. I was done with the boring long 1st passage and then the system hanged. And guess what it hanged for everyone in the room. And each one out there was equally annoyed. They worked on restoring it and took around 15 mins. Considering the fact that the test itself is 4 hrs long, i came to the test center 1 hour before the test started and all these mess took almost 45 minutes to settle , at the very beginning of my test I was all pi$$ed off. Anyways , the systems were restarted and I began the test from the passage I left . Thank God it didnt start all over or else I would have smashed the system.Okay finally done with reading section. Not that bad. Okay now the listening section started. One conversation done. Ooopsssssssssie ..Hell yeah my system throws up another error.. and this time its new one. Firstly, no one else has it . Secondly, I am able to hear the lecture but not mark my responses. Raised my hand for help. Oh please common not again. And this time I was more worried that I will forget the lecture by the time they allot me a system which is working fine :(

Okay another system .. loading 56% .. loading 60% okay stuck up again for 10 mins .. raise hand - No sir its not working. Can you tell me if I get to hear the lecture again? Oh yes don't worry. Now, how the hell am I not supposed to worry when I heard the lecture but was not able to respond in the blank screen? Anyways another system. Yeah the headphone working, oh yes speaker working . Holy shit ! now what. The mouse ..its not working properly. Sir, I am not able to choose the answer. Oh oh .. Just move it slowly and see if it works. Anyways these all carried on in between my exams and I finally was done with my listening section. Went for a break and came back quickly. I wanted to get over with the test, but guess what you cannot login to the system until the break time is over. So , sit and chill. Anyways , waited for the break to be over and started with speaking section. I was seriously not able to concentrate. How can someone concentrate when some 25 other students are speaking on the same topic and you are able to hear them loud and clear?
anyways I tried hard and was done with it finally.

I just wanted to shut down the damn computer.Anyways then the writing section came up. I just remembered Dana's tips on them and wrote accordingly and I completed well before time. Before I could start writing the next essay, the center head came in and said meet me before you leave for the exam( He wanted me to write the Accept the terms and conditons page again . Well was it so important to be told in between the exam ???) Anyways I was so upset that I just made my face and was back to my writing task at hand.They asked about the integrated task question. Then there was a topic given and thats all. I was done with this. I AM SERIOUSLY SORRY but IF THIS IS HOW SOME EXAM OF SUCH A HIGH STATURE IS CONDUCTED, I DON'T WANNA BE A PART OF IT.

Oh yes I got my scores today. Guess what ? I didnt expect any scores as I was unsure if my voice would have been recorded in such a chaos. Anyways , I got 105/120
Reading - 28
Listening -29
Speaking-23
Writing -25

Yeah I know pretty disappointing. But all I hope is the schools I apply to don't judge me by this score. I don't wanna be judged by any such exam :(

Dana, Please tell me if this is an okay score? I don't wanna go through the pain of retaking TOEFL. Not even if I am given a chance to give it free.

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:24 am
Really sorry to hear about your test day experience! However, your score is very good! Most schools will accept anything over 100 and you definitely qualify. I think only Harvard asks for at least 110. So congrats on that and good luck with the rest of the application process!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:660

by vivek1110 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:42 pm
Which test center in Chennai did you do it at? Your story sounds about the same as mine! MY test center was as bad, only difference being I did not get a score! Yeah I'm quite disappointed at how the TOEFL is administered in Chennai as well, I wonder if it's only India or if its as bad everywhere. 105 isn't too bad, most schools ask for a minimum of 100.

Good luck with apps!
Is caught between a rock and a hard place!

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:21 am
A score of 105 is definitely accepted at all schools. Congratulations on a great score inspite of many obstacles..

Would you mind telling me in what test center you booked your appointment in chennai? I'm just asking you out of curiosity coz I have not heard of such a bad test center.
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

by shweta.aec » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:24 am
@ Dana - Thanks Dana but I was jus worried coz my score in Speaking is too low although I know I am not that bad while speaking :( Hope the schools don't have a section wise cutoff . I didnt apply to Harvard my GMAT score is too low for that.

@ Vivek - yes the center was totally $crewed up. It was so horrible that I still remember each of the details. It was in Adyar LB road

@ Papgust - Adyar , Chennai and trust me it was the worst experience I ever had in my life. My school computer labs had better facilities than this center.

by shweta.aec » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:00 am
okay here is the sad story .. Cornell is looking for minimum 25 in each section :( :(

Site Admin

by DanaJ » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:21 am
Wow I am very very sorry! Do you think you can retake it? Are there other TOEFL centers in your city?

You could also try to negotiate with Cornell. If you have other proofs of proficiency in English, you may be able to get a waiver from them. For instance, if your job has require you to use English a lot or if you've studied in an English speaking environment, it might help especially since you had such a bad experience with the testing facilities.

Community Manager

by papgust » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:06 pm
Even I have heard of some schools requiring candidates to have 25 or above in each section. I agree with Dana's comments. You may try to convince the adcom by showing your english proficiency in schools/work. Re-taking the exam does not seem to be a right decision to me.

And yeah, there are 2 test centers as far as i know in LB Road - Everonn and Satvat Infosol. I gave an attempt yesterday in Satvat Infosol, Adyar. Needless to say that the test center was extremely bad. I will write soon more about the test center and my TOEFL experience.
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

by shweta.aec » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:03 am
@ Dana - My job requires me to interact with clients in US on a daily basis. Also, I have completed my schooling and college at a place where the medium of interaction was English.
I am going to attend the MBA tour in which Cornell Adcoms are coming. I am thinking of taking up this topic over there. I don't plan to take that pain again although there are more centers in my city but I am not sure about the facilities out there as well. Also, I have very less time left for my application deadlines and I want to concentrate on that instead of this :(

@Papgust - Yeah, i don't think i want to take the exam again. I will try talking to them about considering the feasibility of a waiver. And I gave the test in Satvat Infosol :) I think you can understand the frustration I have gone through . Hope nothing weird happened during your test like mine.

by vivek1110 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:02 pm
I gave my exam at Satvat Infosol too, I did it on the 11th of september! The one above the Pizza corner on LB road. I gave the re-test there though, and yeah my experience was even worse than the previous centre!

The exam was scheduled to start at 10:00, it ended up starting at 11:30 am because of a power cut! My computer shut down half way through the exam, and I had to continue doing it in another computer. I finished my exam finally at about 3:45pm. I have a bad feeling that I might not get a score this time as well.

@papgust: did you do your exam at Satvat Infosol on LB road on the 11th of September?

@shwethaa: For cornell, you're eligible for a TOEFL waiver. I presume you're applying for the full time MBA program.

@Dana: There are tons of test centers in chennai, each being worse than the other. One test center actually has a reputation for students not getting their scores and having to re-take the test; that's the one I did my first test at!

Community Manager

by papgust » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:20 pm
@vivek, Yes i did give in Satvat Infosol, 10 AM, 11th Sept. Had i known that you are writing on the same time, I would have tried to meet you. :) Actually, I didn't know any test-takers there and most of them were college students and yes, the power cut really infuriated me. So, I was in no mood to talk to anyone.

@shwetha, I guess vivek has already described his test experience. My experience is the same too. However, I was fortunate to not face any system-related problem apart from the power cut. Maybe that is a saving grace.

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:

Site Admin

by DanaJ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:07 pm
Guys really sorry about you experiencing all these issues. But oh well, at least that's what this forum is for: you express your concerns and people should take note not to go there anymore!

by shweta.aec » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:08 am
@ Vivek - Really sad to hear your experience :( Such centers shouldnt be allowed to conduct tests. How can TOEFL be so careless ? Yes I am applying for the full time MBA program. Anyways awaiting for the MBA tour in Bangalore :)
@ Papgust - Lucky you not to have the system restarted and all .. All the best for your scores
@ Dana - Yes , People shouldn't go to that center until and unless they want their luck to play the role in their exams

by vivek1110 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:47 am
@Papgust: Damn, we could've met up on the 11th. Too bad I didn't know you were there. Are you applying this year?

Community Manager

by papgust » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:17 pm
vivek1110 wrote:@Papgust: Damn, we could've met up on the 11th. Too bad I didn't know you were there. Are you applying this year?
Yes I have planned to apply for Fall '11.

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote: