Do I have a shot?

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Do I have a shot?

by immortal324 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:50 am
So I am going through the application process a little on the blind side and genuinely don't know if I have a shot at any of my target schools. I open to suggestions as well.

My information:
27 years old
3.1 GPA from St Lawrence University in Economics
700 GMAT(80% Quant /80% Verbal - don't remember the actual numbers here)

Work Experience:
Interned while in London at Euro Investment Bank

8 months as a Registered Rep at a prominent brokerage in the US(Earned Series 7 and Series 63)

3 years(and counting) as a Senior Credit Officer at a commercial leasing company. Currently have highest single lending authority allowed by the company. Have significant roles in the development ( and continuing perfection) of my company's automatic decision system.

Post college activities: Mostly revolves around athletics. Part of a few sports clubs but that's about it. Job has a bad habit of getting most of my time.

Looking to transition away from leasing and into research at an investment bank.

Target School: Darden, Cornell, Kenan-Flagler

Do I have a shot at any of these schools? Should I be looking lower (or higher)? Any help anyone can give is really appreciated. Thanks.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:34 am
You definitely have a shot at your target schools. However, you should keep in mind that the three schools you've chosen have different cultures and teaching styles. Therefore, it will be very important to tailor your essays to each program - do not create generic essays to use for all of your apps. If possible, try to visit the campuses or at least go to a local event (if available) before applying.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by immortal324 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:05 am
You make a good point. To be honest the reason I chose each school had more to do with the perceived equality each school gives to the programs with in it and thus draws a balance of people. I do realize that all programs attempt to have a balanced class but I have gotten the impression that some schools do this better than others(excluding truly large programs). I wouldn't have thought that schools would consider who else you are applying to. Thanks for the advice!