How to tackle RC ?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

How to tackle RC ?

by saurabhmahajan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:50 pm
Hi Experts/Friends,

I am finding RC difficult to get pass through.I solved two Verbal test of 41question/75 min but in both the tests i made 6-7 mistakes in RC itself. My verbal score was 34. I think if i had not made these mistakes i could have scored 40 atleast.
Please suggest me a way to tackle RC.How can i minimise my mistakes in RC ?
Thanks and regards,
Saurabh Mahajan

I can understand you not winning,but i will not forgive you for not trying.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by kal750gmat » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:22 pm
My strategy with RC was to get an understanding of the passage the first time around and constantly ask myself "what is the main point of this paragraph" as I read through it. This meant I needed to read slower. Overall, I spent about 2 min reading the passage and the pushed through the accompanying questions in 15-30 seconds each.

The more actionable strategy is to write as you read. You don't need to make legible notes. The point is not to review the notes later. Just write. The simple act of writing stimulate your brain and helps your brain process the information that you're reading. I improved my reading comprehension from 60% to 90% accuracy once I started doing this.

Good luck.
Check out my GMAT videos at www.youtube.com/gmatwalkthrough!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by saurabhmahajan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:04 pm
Thanks Kal,

I have also started the startegy to write as i read (in short). But still this is taking me approx 10 min on each passage along with QnA . This will put me in trouble on D-day.
How can i minimize my time on passage ?
Thanks and regards,
Saurabh Mahajan

I can understand you not winning,but i will not forgive you for not trying.