No votes
No votes
6%
38%
38%
19%

Total votes: 16

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
“There is only one definition of success—to be able to spend your life in your o3wn way.”
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

The issue of finding the true definition of success is a controversial one. On the one hand, if the meaning of success is narrowed down to a person to person approach, it would lead to different definitions for the same word. On the other hand, making a universally acceptable definition of success is a highly cumbersome task. However in the final analysis of this issue, I believe that true meaning of the success is to be able to spend one’s life in one’s own way.
The chief reason for my belief is that the feeling of being successful comes from within. Success is associated with the accomplishment of goals. And since, goals varies from person to person, the definition of success also varies from person to person. For example, the goal of a student may be to achieve good grades, while the goal of a businessman may be to maximize the profits of his organization. Each of these goals when reached means success to respective persons. In no case getting good marks can mean success to someone if that was not one’s goal. Further, when a person decides to spend his life in a particular way, it is because he feels that he can fulfill his goals only by following the path he wants to tread. Hence, the feeling of being successful comes when one is able to tread the path one wanted to.
Secondly, the word success is associated tightly with materialistic achievements and this does not leads us to a true definition of success. A nice car and a huge bank balance might mean success to some but not all. If success would have come with materialistic gains, then the people of the richest nations should have been the happiest people. But recent surveys have shown that people from countries like Denmark are the happiest people and not the people from the richest countries. Countries like India where the true meaning of success is spiritual rather than materialistic have been a hot spot for people who are in search for happiness and peace.
In sum, I can concur that a global definition of success is not feasible. The true definition of success varies from person to person and it is the ability to spend life in one’s own way.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by cshetty » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:00 pm
very concise...I would rate it 5/6..Could have been paragraphed..and given few more examples...

Thanks

by dhanda.arun » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:17 pm
Thanks cshetty for time...!!! :D

by chocoswiss » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:55 am
I would say 5 as well.
t is a comparatively harder/more abstract topic, I personally find it harder to tackle.

PS, silly question but how do i vote in the poll, cant find any place to click on, even in reply :(

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mzkfrk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:17 pm
"There is only one definition of success-to be able to spend your life in your own way"

Some people conceive that to succeed in life one should do what he wants to. While others say one who does something "off the track" or something according to him is aimless and probably just wants to enjoy his life. This is a debatable issue but a closer analysis reveals that to be successful one should spend life according to what he thinks is best for him, because of various reasons.

Primary reason for my belief is that success is something which can be achieved only when someone is fully dedicated to it. And that dedication can be achieved when someone is happy with what he is doing, someone who enjoys what he does. One who does what makes him happy is one who spends his life according to him.

Who can forget some of the most renowned businessmen - From Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates, who left Harvard to Larry Page and Sergey Brin, who left Stanford to go on to follow their dreams. How many people would leave an Ivey League University in the middle of their graduation to pursue something which they like? Who can forget Steve Jobs who used to bunk his classes which he did not find useful while attend classes not in his course. He attended Calligraphy classes and later on went on to invent a new script. Hence, one needs to follow something which he believes in and not follow others.

William Sloane once rightly said, "even if you win a rat race, you're still a rat". Following one's dream is just like reaching one's own house. Just imagine a case, after days' work at office, people go back to their respective home, if most of the people's home lie towards east and yours towards west, would you follow the herd even if your home is the other way? No! Same applies to one's own self. If your destination, your interest, your goal lies somewhere else you should definitely go in that direction.

Conclusively, even though there might be arguments to be made on both sides, it is clear that there are greater advantages to spending your life doing something which you wish to. And one should not forget success and happiness are inter related, with happiness comes success and vice versa and one can only be happy and achieve success when he does something which he feels is good for him.
"Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it"
- Sir Winston Churchill