Read Whole Passage????

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Read Whole Passage????

by ggg » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:43 am
Hi all,

I am attacking RC and am confused!

I can't decide which strategy to choose. I plan to read whole passage and then answer the questions... but most of the strategies are opposite....i.e. read first sentence of first paragraph etc...

Maybe the strategy works for the Main Idea question but what about detailed question that need you to lookup answers in the passage?? In this case I will have to read again the passage and waist time....

In addition, can you tell me how many minutes should i spent on average on reading the passage?

PLease advise...

FYI, I am not native speaker

Thanks in advance...

G

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:24 am
Despite what some may say, I am still a proponent of reading the entire passage. Reading it quickly is required, so you should try to work on your skills there for sure. I find that only in reading the entire passage do you get your mind wrapped around the information that will be required to answer the sometimes very detailed questions. The questions are often designed to pull out minor details and nuances that are only evident in a reading that is something other than peripheral. Having said that, you may find it helpful to skim the article first, to try an orient your mind around the general topic before going back and reading it in its entirety.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by ggg » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:09 am
Hi, thanks for the reply!

I agree with you, but on test day I will not know what kind of question to expect..in addition, there will always be asked detailed question.. .hence maybe it's better to read the whole passage to avoid rereading ..:s. Just can't decide!

G

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sch » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:52 pm
Hey! Im in the same boat as you are.. Im experimenting this week by throwing ALL strategies out of the window and approaching RC just like CR. I find it useless to make scetches of the passages, as I rarely use those scetches! I find that questions are either so broad that I can answer from my memory, or so narrow that I have to go back and re-read the segment. I think it is more efficient to read the passage carefuly first (carefuly enough to answer broad questions such as what was the tone or what was the main point of the passage) and establish a conclusion. Then go back to the parts of the passage as individual question directs...

GMAT Score:380

by lordspace » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:34 pm
Hi Bryant,

that's a very good idea Re: skimming the content first.
Isn't that a part of a speed reading technique e.g. learning in *layers* ?

To contribute to the topic:
What I do is read the question first so I know what I will be looking for.
Then I go and read the first paragraph with a normal speed and get faster for the other paragraphs.
By the way I point the screen with my finger that helps me guide my eyes.

Slavi

by Mar1nov » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:02 am
Sch,

I disagree. When you scratch things down, you are actually put in the position to summarize them into a more concise format. You may not refer back to them, but the process helps you understand the logical structure of the passage. It keeps you more disciplined. Improving on the RC requires a change in thought and not learning of new information. It's like batting in baseball. You probably do it the wrong way, but it's your way. You are used to it and even if someone explains it to you, you will still not learn it. Unlike something you would do for math, you have to force yourself through the process and trust the teacher. In time you will start to swing with a new and better form. Your batting average will improve. RC requires lots of practice, not studying. But if you practice batting with the wrong technique (although it may feel right to you), you can spend years and will still not improve. If you are batting .158 and you take upon the new technique you will actually go down to let's say .125 first, but then you can build on the new foundation up to .246. If you have any experience in sports you will understand what I'm saying. Practicing reading comprehension is working out a muscle. Learning the process of factoring is not the same. Keep using notes and you will soon find it easier to use, faster to write down, and better ways to incorporate into your test taking. My advice to you is: Take your time to break down each passage with lots of time, and then shorten the time without compromising the technique.