Looking for some advice - Stacy, Help (long post)!

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I've recently taken the GMAT. I thought I had all my ducks in a row prior to the testing, but my recent GMAT test just threw me a little curveball.

I'm currently residing outside of Allentown, PA, and had full intentions of going to a local university (Kutztown University) for an MBA, starting in 2007. My company, a respected Engineering & product-based company out of Reading, is willing to foot my entire educational bill, so long as I only go to school part time, and continue to work full-time, This would be nothing new for me, as I worked an entry Electical Engineering position part-time through my undergrad work, beginning in my second-semester of my Sophomore year and continuing all the way through graduation day.

However, I recently scored a 760 on my GMAT (thanks, in part, to your site here), and after taking a step back and evaluating my profile, I see that I have what many top schools are looking for - working part time throughout my Undergrad work, Graduating Summa Cum Laude in Computer & Electrical Engineering (Top 5% of graduating class @ University of Pittsburgh, class of 2004), and achieving a 99th percentile GMAT score, on top of 3 to 4 years professional experience (depending on when I apply / enroll / etc).

I'm now reevaluating my MBA decisions. And now, I'm looking for some (or any) advice on where to go at this crossroad in my life. I could stay at my current job (which I'm happy with, but will probably not stick with after receiving my MBA, unless they really surprise me with a big pay raise / promotion / etc...) and go to Kutztown University (local) or Lehigh University (a little further of a commute for me, but a little more well-respected University). Or I could quit my position altogether and go to a top school - ie, one of the Wharton's or Kellogg's of the MBA world (assuming i get in, of course).

Obviously, leaving school $100k - $200k in student debt isn't very appealing either, especially if the benefits of a top-ranked MBA program don't far surpass the benfits of (an essentially) free MBA education at Lehigh.

Right now, I'm just looking for advice on anything and everything - how good Lehigh really is, how Lehigh stacks up to a Wharton-caliber school, and ultimately, any advice on making my decison.

I'm in the information-gathering stage right now, and if I'm forced to postpone any enrollment until (gasp) 2008, so be it, so long as I make the right decision, and not one I'm going to regret.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Brett

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:38 am
Congratulations on your GMAT score! It's difficult to accurately answer your questions without understanding more about your goals. Lehigh has a lot to offer, but it does not have the national or international reputation that a school like Wharton has. If you wanted to move, the Lehigh name may not carry as much weight. Also, there are certain fields that are looking for employees from the name brand schools. If you wanted to go to work for McKinsey, they do not recruit at Lehigh. If you want to continue working but want to go to a school with a stronger brand, you should look at some of the executive programs. A number of the schools have programs for fully employed students - check out the Columbia/Haas program, for instance. The Lehigh degree may be perfect for you given your goals. But if you are unsure abot what you will be pursuiing in 5,10, 15 years, a different school is a safer bet, because it has the prestige and network that can help you as your goals evolve and you move into diffent industries or to different locations. You can always apply to a handful of schools and see how you feel once you are admitted and actually have a decision to make.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me