what is meant by qualify a claim

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

what is meant by qualify a claim

by ayushiiitm » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:16 pm
I was going through the BTG flash Cards

On the RC flash cards, it is written that "to qualify means to weaken the claim"

So does it mean >>>> if asked "Does X qualify in the given passage....we have to find how we can weaken it?"

Explain please
Success is a journey.....enjoy every moment of it

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:32 pm
Hey Ayushiiitm,

I think that to say "to qualify" = "to weaken" is too simplistic. To qualify is to add limitations or conditions.

Consider the following claim: I would eat anything.

This is a blanket statement with no real qualification (limitation). After making this statement, I might think "wow maybe I went too far. Let me qualify that". Then I would make the following claim:

If I am really hungry, I would eat anything

This is the original claim qualified (limited) by a specific condition. If I think the claim needs further limitations still, I can qualify it further:

If I am really hungry, I would eat anything that is properly cooked.

To qualify is to add limitations or conditions. In RC, if a claim is presented, the author of the passage (or another expert within the passage) can qualify the claim by showing that something else should be taken into consideration, or that the claim has some limitation. This is likely why BTG simplified it as "to qualify" = "to weaken".

For example, an expert may argue that "Tigers are solitary animals". The author of the passage (or an answer choice to a question) might specify that "Tigers must meet to breed" or "Females care for their cubs for 2 years". These don't destroy the initial claim, but they qualify it (add limitations to its accuracy). Again, this is likely why BTG simplified it as "to qualify" = "to weaken".

Hope that helps,
-Patrick
Last edited by Patrick_GMATFix on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Ask me about tutoring.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by ayushiiitm » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:42 pm
Wonderful Explanation Patrick

Thanks
Success is a journey.....enjoy every moment of it

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:07 pm
You got it buddy. Good luck with your prep.
  • Ask me about tutoring.