Profile for Stanford app

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile for Stanford app

by npandey » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:00 pm
HI Stacy

I have a different profile than the avg MBA student and am wondering how this profile would work specifically for stanford mba.

I am on the much older side (38, female, mother of 2). I have been working since the 1993 and worked for over 8 years at a successful internet company in director level roles. I have some pretty good community service and volunteer work experience as well and I am a blogger in the mommy community.

I already have 2 masters (economics and sociology) and my grad school GPA was like 3.2 (not stellar but OK). I think GMAT is my biggest challenge - i have been out of touch for so long that I score badly on all the prep tests and make around 600 (due to take the test in dec).

How would this profile do? Any advice on what to call out in the app?

Best and thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:11 pm
It sounds like you should be able to do well, assuming you can improve the GMAT. A 600 on the GMAT could be a hurdle depending on the schools you are applying to. A couple of things to focus on that I believe will receive extra scrutiny:
1) You need to prove that you are not a "professional student". Why do you already have two Masters degrees? How does all of this learning fit together to create a logical story about your background?
2) Why are you going back to school at this point in your career? How can you show that you have progressed impressively, but still want to put things on hold to earn a new degree? It's a fine balance between demonstrating a successful career and need for the MBA.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me