Any chance?

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Any chance?

by briangtsmith » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:15 pm
Hi all,

I am 25 years old, will be 26 when school starts should I get in. My "stats" are below:

3.25 cumulative GPA from The George Washington University, with a major in International Affairs, concentration: East Asia. I studied abroad in Tokyo and am fluent in Japanese.
- During university, interned at The Ritz Carlton
- Accepted into management training program with The Walt Disney Company. Spent 1 year as a Front Desk Manager at 2 hotel properties.
- Left Disney for re-opening of The Plaza in NYC. Took position as opening Front Desk Manager.
- Spent 8 months at The Plaza...decided I was more interested in the development/real-estate side of hotels and left for REDAC, Inc, a Japanese real estate company.
- Promoted after 1 year at REDAC, after proposing a new division be created. Now work as an Asset Manager, as head of that division, managing buildings functioning as extended stay hotels for Japanese corporate clients. Advise on hotel operations and oversee all building aspects, including renovations.

It looks like I will get somewhere between a 630 and 690 on my GMAT, and I have the following schools in mind:

USC Masrhall
University of Maryland
Emory
UCLA
Georgetown
Vanderbilt

My goal is to embark on a career in hotel development.

So what do you think? Do I stand a shot?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:46 pm
In a word, YES. You possess several components of a good applicant with high potential for acceptance to b-school. ONe, you went to a great undergrad school and had a very respectable GPA, two you have a good (albeit not great) GMAT. Three, and most importantly, you have a good story to tell and not only a consistent commitment to your industry, but also a track record of progressive responsibility and high ambition. As icing on the cake, you have worked for some marquee name brand companies, which just also happen to be notoriously hard to get jobs with. Finally, you have international experience and bi-lingual business acumen, a very valuable asset in today's world. I applaud your vision, foresight, planning and accomplishments. If you package your credentials well in your essays, you should have no problem getting into your list of schools. I would also suggest you throw your name in the hat at some even higher ranked schools known for their real estate MBA focus such as NYU, Columbia, and on the West Coast (especially for the pacific rim area where you seem to be experienced) UCLA and USC. Despite having a GMAT which may be slightly below the mean, don't forget the 80% range at even these top schools likely includes your score. Hope this encourages you.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options