Question about work experience before graduating college

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hey everyone,
I know that work experience before college plays a big part in mba admissions but I was also wondering about work experience before graduation. For instance, next year (my senior year) I will be a loan officer for a student loan at my school for undergraduate and graduate students. I will manage a $100,000 fund, meet with students and sign & issue loans of up to $600. Will something such as this be noticeable when applying to mba programs 2-3 years after graduation?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:46 am
Generally, jobs held while in college are not given as much weight as full-time post graduation positions. However, your position sounds like it entails a lot of responsibility, autonomy, and decision making. You should definitely highlight these skills when writing your resume and when you discuss the loan officer job in essays/interviews. Also, emphasize any attributes that made you the best candidate for this particular position.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jaw5xs » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:52 pm
Thanks for the answer. I hope that having this job helps me out in my job search after college.

I also have another question. I am currently working for a startup social networking site. It is expected to do very well in the market. I don't want to give too much information about it because the site hasn't launched yet. It is expected to launch in a couple weeks. If this startup company does well, I will stay on and work for the company after I graduate, while holding down a regular job. I was wondering how this would look in my MBA applications because I did not stàrt the company but have been heavily involved with the 6 person team that has been developing this company. Thanks again, look forward to your response.