00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Metal rings recently excavated from seventh-century settlements in the western part of Mexico were made using the same metallurgical techniques as those used by Ecuadorian artisans before and during that period. These techniques are sufficiently complex to make their independent development in both areas unlikely. Since the people of these two areas were in cultural contact, archaeologists hypothesize that the metallurgical techniques used to make the rings found
in Mexico were learned by Mexican artisans from Ecuadorian counterparts.

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the archaeologists' hypothesis?

(A) Whether metal objects were traded from Ecuador to western Mexico during the seventh century
(B) Whether travel between western Mexico and Ecuador in the seventh century would have been primarily by land or by sea
(C) Whether artisans from western Mexico could have learned complex metallurgical techniques from their Ecuadorian counterparts without actually leaving western Mexico
(D) Whether metal tools were used in the seventhcentury settlements in western Mexico
(E) Whether any of the techniques used in the manufacture of the metal rings found in western Mexico are still practiced among artisans in Ecuador today

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rash.patil » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:28 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I would pick A.

A) In order to evaluate archaeologists hypothesis, this information is useful--Correct

B) Irrelevant

C) Not useful..since it restates archeologists theory.

D) Irrelevant

E) Irrelevant

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:45 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Is the answer D. We want to know whether people in western mexico during the 17th century were aware of the techniques to develop such rings.

They could have either got it from Ecuadorian counterparts. If this is the case, then mexicans would have never known to make rings.
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by selango » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:37 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

IMO A

Legendary Member

by selango » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:44 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Option C,d and E are not relevant.

Options A and C are close.

In order to learn the technique,metals must be available in Mexico.

If option C is true,artisans from mexico learn technique from Ecuadorian counterparts without leaving mexico itself.this leads to question whether metals imported from Ecuadorian.
Option A evaluate this question.

Legendary Member

by kvcpk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:55 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

OA A

Any staright-out reason why C cannot be the answer?

by paddle_sweep » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:09 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

What's the problem with 'D'? If metal tools were not used then metal rings cannot be made. Option A just says if metals were exchanged or not but the question talks about technique.

by paddle_sweep » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

kvcpk wrote:OA A

Ecuadorian's could have come to Mexico and taught them the techniques.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by satyaravisingh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:52 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

kvcpk wrote:OA A

C re-iterates the point raised in the question itself.
Question states,
"archaeologists hypothesize that the metallurgical techniques used to make the rings found in
Mexico were learned by Mexican artisans from Ecuadorian counterparts
"

Option C states,
"western Mexico could have learned complex metallurgical techniques from their Ecuadorian
counterparts
without actually leaving western Mexico" Without leaving or leaving won't help to evaluate the hypothesis which is indeed repeated in the option choice C

However, A clearly helps to evaluate the hypothesis.
I Can, I Will

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Metal rings recently excavated from seventh-century settlements in the western part of Mexico were made using the same metallurgical techniques as those used by Ecuadorian artisans before and during that period

Archaeologists hypothesize that the metallurgical techniques used to make the rings found
in Mexico were learned by Mexican artisans from Ecuadorian counterparts

There may be a possibility that Maxican artists were not manufacturing those metal rings and they were exported from Ecuador and Mexican people were just using them at that time

A clearly explores that possibility
--------
Ankur mittal

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:04 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

ankurmit wrote:Metal rings recently excavated from seventh-century settlements in the western part of Mexico were made using the same metallurgical techniques as those used by Ecuadorian artisans before and during that period

Archaeologists hypothesize that the metallurgical techniques used to make the rings found

There may be a possibility that Maxican artists were not manufacturing those metal rings and they were exported from Ecuador and Mexican people were just using them at that time

I agree with ankurmit above - that's exactly the reason why A is relevant. In order to reach the conclusion that the Mexicans learned how to make the rings from the equadorians, the argument must assume that the rings were actually made by the mexicans themselves. If metal goods were traded from equador to mexico, it is possible that the rings found are Ecuadorian in origin, not Mexican, in which case the mexicans did not have to learn the techniques at all. However, if metal objects were not traded, then this would strengthen the conclusion that the rings were made locally, and the techniques would then have to be learned. Thus, knowing A strengthens or weakens an assumption made by the argument, and is the least worst of the answer choices given in that it has some relevancy to the question.

This is not obvious at first glance, but rather reached by elimination. At first I eliminated all five answer choices as irrelevant, and only then took another look at what A actually means. The other answer choices have even worse flaws, making them irrelevant:
B land or sea has nothing to do with anything.

C would've been fine without the "leaving mexico" part - there's no reason to assume that the mexicans learned the techniques by email, and the argument perfectly allows mexicans to go to Equador. so even if the mexicans were able or not able to learn the techniques remotely, this tells me nothing of whether they did actually learn them or not.

D requires a knowledge of metallurgy not likely to be required on the GMAT - perhaps it is possible to make metal rings without metal tools to make them? I don't know, and the GMAT is not likely to require me to know this obscure knowledge. If it was important, the argument would've said something about it - It's a trap answer confusing rings with tools.

E we care not for the present, but for the 7th century.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

Legendary Member

by GMATMadeEasy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:42 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

@Geva Stern: The Most complete and comprehensible explanation . Your explanations answers many of my doubts I had for this question. THANK you .

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:10 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATMadeEasy wrote:@Geva Stern: The Most complete and comprehensible explanation . Your explanations answers many of my doubts I had for this question. THANK you .
You're more than welcome. :)
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by thulsy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi Geva,

I personally agree with your thoughts regarding (A). So do you mean the official explanation is incorrect, despite that there is no dispute on the correct answer (A)?

According to official explanation:
If the answer to (A) is yes ---strengthen
If the answer to (A) is no ---weaken
According to your explanation (which I think is more convincing than OE)
If the answer to (A) is yes ---weaken
If the answer to (A) is no ---strengthen
Geva@MasterGMAT wrote:
ankurmit wrote:Metal rings recently excavated from seventh-century settlements in the western part of Mexico were made using the same metallurgical techniques as those used by Ecuadorian artisans before and during that period

I agree with ankurmit above - that's exactly the reason why A is relevant. In order to reach the conclusion that the Mexicans learned how to make the rings from the equadorians, the argument must assume that the rings were actually made by the mexicans themselves. If metal goods were traded from equador to mexico, it is possible that the rings found are Ecuadorian in origin, not Mexican, in which case the mexicans did not have to learn the techniques at all. However, if metal objects were not traded, then this would strengthen the conclusion that the rings were made locally, and the techniques would then have to be learned. Thus, knowing A strengthens or weakens an assumption made by the argument, and is the least worst of the answer choices given in that it has some relevancy to the question.

This is not obvious at first glance, but rather reached by elimination. At first I eliminated all five answer choices as irrelevant, and only then took another look at what A actually means. The other answer choices have even worse flaws, making them irrelevant:
B land or sea has nothing to do with anything.

C would've been fine without the "leaving mexico" part - there's no reason to assume that the mexicans learned the techniques by email, and the argument perfectly allows mexicans to go to Equador. so even if the mexicans were able or not able to learn the techniques remotely, this tells me nothing of whether they did actually learn them or not.

D requires a knowledge of metallurgy not likely to be required on the GMAT - perhaps it is possible to make metal rings without metal tools to make them? I don't know, and the GMAT is not likely to require me to know this obscure knowledge. If it was important, the argument would've said something about it - It's a trap answer confusing rings with tools.

E we care not for the present, but for the 7th century.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by manhhiep2509 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:15 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In my opinion, the choice A is correct because it could strengthen or weaken the premise, i.e. the people of these two areas were in cultural contact.
If there were trades, then the choice strengthen the premise, thereby strengthening the conclusion.
If there were not any trade, then it somewhat weaken the premise. The choice eliminate a way that could lead to culture contact between the two countries. R

I find the question tricky because it focus on evaluating the premise rather than conclusion or assumption as other evaluate questions.
---

I do not think whether who are the creators of the ring is important. The conclusion is about who are the creators of the techniques that are used to manufacture the ring.