A

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

A

by villgro » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:51 pm
QSQW
Last edited by villgro on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:08 pm
There are many schools which have programs that focus on social entrepreneurship. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. This is a hot topic and schools are scrambling to gain ground in this area (but, as a "hot topic" you also have a great deal of competition from other like minded applicants).

You have many very strong elements to your profile, but, it will be very challenging to be admitted to a top 10 school with a 660 GMAT. Academics and extracurriculars do help compensate but you would still have a hard road ahead of you. Many candidates have strong essays, strong recommendations, academids, extracurriculars AND a higher GMAT.

I'd suggest you look at the next tier of schools but target those that are known for good se programs. I would suggest you research Kenan-Flagler (UNC), Tepper (Carnegie Mellon), George Washington University, Babson and Yale. There are many others as well but this is a good group to start with!

Good luck to you!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by villgro » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:16 pm
Thanks a lot Jessica,

Yaa... my GMAT score, specially verbal, is low and it's the main hurdle in my way.

As I have only 2 years of experience so i am thinking to apply for admission next year i.e. for 2012 batch. By that time, hopefully I will also rewrite the GMAT to improve my score. Also, my experience in social world will increase. But in the meantime, I am planning to apply in 2-3 schools this year to get an idea of essays and admission process.

Please give your opinion about:

1) Do you think the plan i mentioned above will be a good idea ?
2) As my Quant score is high (51) are there any schools which prefer high quant score over the verbal score ?
3) This year, Shall I choose one school from each tier or choose only the safe schools?
4) Among the schools you mentioned and other schools, what are the 2-3 safe schools in SE, according to you, for my profile ?

Thanks in advance..

Regards

Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:03 pm
I do agree that you will do best if you wait one more year to apply. I don't think it is necessary to apply this year just to "practice" the application process. This could also confuse your recommenders and potentially put you in an awkward situation at work (just something to think about).

Mainly, however, I want to be clear that there is no such thing as a "safe" school. I only meant that you might want to apply to schools where your profile is (relatively) strong as this can improve your chances to be admitted.

Lastly, yes, most any business school will pay more attention to your Quant score than your V. This is a good thing for you, but, it won't entirely negate your overall score.

Jessica

PS - what is SE?
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options