Good Community service ,Prof Achievements but Low GPA .?

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi..

First of all a brief introduction.. I am one of the usual Indian IT employees(an Engineer) applying for a B school in 2011..

Professional Achievements
3 Yrs Experience with IBM in Telco Sector for a Eurpoean Telco Giant.. Job profile ranging from Consulting to Development , also on the interview panel for recruiting new ppl.. Participating in CMMi Audit for the Company and many other laurels achieved during work.. Technical Certifications..Training new joiness functionally and technically...
Decent extracurriculars during Professional life ..

Lots of Community service
Active participation in community service including awareness in rural areas about HIV/AIDS , Blood donation for Thalasimic Patients , Opium Deaddiction camps etc , Also a member of a Teaching campaign for underprivilaged children for a short duration..
Also worked for Protection of wildlife.. Created awareness for protection of wildlife and nature among city dwellers .. associated with a legal body for the same..

Downside being my Academic achievements ..
Cumulative GPA - 7.04/10 though from a reputed and well known Pvt University.. 3 Arrears ( Repeats) in subjects during undergrad.. but cleared in the first repeat.. No significant extracurriculars during undergrad.. Just a few to mention..

At higher secondary level (10+2 in india) . dismal score of 58.2 % ..

GMAT - TBD (14th July) - But right now scoring in the range of 650-670 ..

So assuming the above score to be my final score.. What chance do i stand to crack, thought not the best , but above average to good Bschools with my average to below average academic achievements..

Targetting Primarily southeast asia.. Cost is an important factor..

NUS and NTU Singapore
CEIBS China
SP Jain Dubai/Singapore
HKUST Hongkong..

Europe..
RSM Erasmus Netherlands..

And more if anyone here could suggest .. Primarily 1 year MBA Programs..

Experts please advice..

Thanks..
Peeush

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:32 pm
Hi Peeush -

I am not very familiar with the admission criteria at the schools you referenced but I wanted to give you some general pointers. I love your extracurriculars and I think you have some of the beginnings of a strong profile. As you know, because you have only three years of experience, your GPA and GMAT score will carry a decent amount of weight. One way to show an Adcom that you are a capable student is to take a course (or two) in finance (or statistics, econ, etc.). If you are able to get good grades in difficult business related courses, this will show the Adcom that you are serious about business school and that you have the brain power and academic prowess to succeed.

The Adcom doesn't want to set you up to fail so with a lower GPA and lower GMAT they just need to know that you will be able to handle the work. Recommendations can help with this as well (make sure your recommenders stress that you are good with numbers, bright, pick up on new concepts easily, write well, etc.).

Great recommendations, a track record of success at work and compelling essays will also help your chances at being admitted to a good school.

Good luck!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by peeush85 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:08 am
Hi Jessica..

First of all, thanks for the comprehensive reply..

Another thing.. When you say business related subject like economics or stats.. do u literally mean taking courses which are evaluated and graded..

I have undergone IT Metrics and Measurements trainings (Measurement Techniques in IT enabling cost estimation , objective quality tracking and other IT Project Parameters Data analysis) during my course of work at IBM .. In fact i use such measures to estimate project costs as a part of my job profile..

But the factor is these arent documented anywhere as such.. i have emails proving i have been a part of such trainings.. I can have my immediate managers mention the same in the recommendations as they were the ones who nominated me for such trainings.. But would such proofs be enough ? Or is it mandatory that i take courses that award me grades and give an evaluation of sorts ?

Please shed some light on the same..

Thanks again
Peeush

Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:24 am
It is helpful that you have taken training courses and you should absolutely make mention of those (they could be listed on your resume in your work or additional section). Your recommenders could also discuss these. But, yes, I meant taking a real class a local college (community type college) for a grade. An "Introduction to Finance" type class is great if you already have stats and calculus. Or, any economics class. This shows both your commitment to learning and it will give you an additional transcript with (hopefully) better grades!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options