Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Accepted - USC PM MBA - Fall 2010

by ph69917 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:09 am
Got admitted for Fall 2010 - USC Marshall PM MBA

Stats:
GMAT: 590 (35Q/35V/6.0 AWA)
GPA: 3.35 (University of California, B.A in Business Economics and B.A. Political Science)
4 Years Work Experience, worked at a trading desk for a large investment bank at the same firm
Gradual progression in career-level (Associate -> Senior Associate -> Manager)

2 Recommendations. One from my direct supervisor (VP-level), one from another senior person in the business (AVP-Level).

by seattlecali » Tue May 11, 2010 10:37 am
Hi ph69917,

Could you please provide some background info on your practice test scores, how long you studied for, and what schools/rounds you applied for?

I'm looking into applying for the Part Time program @ UCLA, USC, and UCI for 2011.

Any insight or advice would be helpful!

Thanks!

by ph69917 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:49 am
Yeah sure.

Prepped through Manhattan GMAT (MGMAT) 9-week course in California.

Completed all assigned homework in the course.

Took 4 of the CATs offered by MGMAT each one about 2 weeks apart.

Score Progression:
Week 2: 450
Week 4: 510
Week 6: 620
Week 8: 610

Took 1 cat by the GMAC the week before the exam. Got a 570.

A bit perplexed on the real exam as my quant scores were really high on practice cats and verbals were lower. But on the real exam they got flipped.

Took the exam 1 week after I finished the course.

I applied to SCU - Leavey (Accepted), USC PT - Round 2

Also applied to NYU PT - Round 2 (hoping for a glimmer of hope here).

My job offers relocation opportunities to LA and NY so no issues with going with PT program in different cities for me.

by waitlisted@uscpm » Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 am
Any suggestions for an applicant wait listed after round 4?
Stats:
680 GMAT
4 years work experience- started a company, been successful, grew to over 1 million dollars annual revenue
2.9 gpa Bio degree from UC
Good Community Service

How many people are accepted off the wait list? Anyone else wait listed after R4?

by ph69917 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:47 am
I paid my enrollment deposit already. I know it's due roughly 7-10 days right after they send you the acceptance letter. That should give the admissions deposit a firm idea of how many students will actually enroll. So I would expect that more notices to be sent out shortly.

Also, they may send out more notices later on this summer for those students who paid their enrollment deposit but won't actually attend.

by seattlecali » Wed May 26, 2010 11:34 am
Hi ph69917,

In your opinion, what part of your application made you stand out when applying to USC?

The reason I asked is because the most recent USC PM class profile was about a 3.21 GPA and a mean GMAT of 623..

I'm just feeling a little discouraged because I'm in the 560-590 GMAT scoring range from all Kaplan practice exams with the hopes of aiming to get around 650. Signed up for Test date end of June.

Stats:
2.3 GPA Econ Degree
3 Years work exp. Finance/Accting in large respected entertainment company
Progression: Analyst -> Sr. Analyst
Can get recommendation from manager and director.
Also, would it help to get a recommendation from an Alumni that works w/ me?

I want to apply this Fall R.1...

Any advice is appreciated!

by ph69917 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:58 am
Recommendations did. I don't know what the template was for the electronic USC LOR, but I saw what my boss completed for another program of mine where he had to submit it via paper. For all the check boxes of where you rank vs. other employees, he put me in the top 1% to 5 % vs. other employees in my firm. So the LOR I think goes a long way. So with this glowing LOR, I think it really went a long way.

My GMAT wasn't great.....my GPA was just average, so I stressed my work progression.

Current Firm: Associate -> Senior Associate -> Manager
Previous Firm: Associate -> Senior Associate -> Assistant VP

I think B-schools really weight the professional experience and letters of recommendation pretty heavily as those are good indicators of your likelihood for success in Business.

I would take the practice CAT's offered by the GMAC (official test writers of the GMAT, and they only offer 2 of them). These are the most accurate indicators of what you'll get on the real test.

Plus, I'd make sure you get everything in by the deadline. I know the application is due by the deadline, but whatever you can get in before hand I think would look good too. At least it shows you have your act together. I feel a lot of folks make the mistake of submitted their App on the deadline, and then have the transcripts and GMAT scores and letters all sent in after. I had all my supplemental materials submitted before I submitted my app.

Good Luck!