Part time Stern MBA

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Part time Stern MBA

by pinkhaze » Mon May 17, 2010 2:59 pm
Hi,

I'm applying to the Langone part-time program at Stern.

I have questions about essay 2 which basically asks why you want to do an mba on a part-time basis.

1. Is it ok to say something to the effect of my employers love me and they're sponsoring me? That is part of why I want to do an MBA, but do ad coms frown on such mercenary motivations? The point I want to make by including this information is, my employers must really see potential in me to make such a big investment - which means I must be really good.

2. Is it ok to say that with the part-time MBA, I don't forego my salary, so it is much easier financially? I'm wary for 2 reasons - it's obvious and it's honest, but not in the best way.

Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks very much!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Wed May 19, 2010 11:27 am
While it it fine to state financial reasons for choosing part-time over full-time, I would be wary of using the "my employer loves me" approach. An MBA is a lot of work and therefore should be seen as your own decision. The decision should be well thought out and fit logically with your career goals. You should see the potential in yourself and not just pursue an MBA because it is someone else's dream for you.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:42 am
Although I may not be an "expert" I'd still like to weigh in.

I wonder if this question is simply just asking.. "Why do you want an MBA?, which happens to be Part Time" The "which" being an unnecessary modifier of MBA.

Aside from that...

1. This seems as though your employer is the subject and you are the object. You need to be the subject. If you had to pay for an MBA, why would you want to go? That's the question you need to answer.

2. I wouldn't because as you said, it's obvious. If you're an adcom member and an application comes across your desk and they say that, you'll say "NEXT!"

Trust me I totally understand the situation you're in. I'm in NYC and have many friends who go to NYU PT. One thing I realized from speaking to them is that there is a TON of competition and a lot of PT students are also going to school on their employers dime, so I don't know if that's a valid argument to make that would set yourself apart from the rest of the applicants.

Just some food for thought...
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 pm
So I just spoke to my friend who is going to Stern PT... he said that he answered that question in two parts.

Why MBA, and Why MBA part time?

"i want an MBA to help grow my company. I want to do it part-time so I can continue working in my company."

hope that helps

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pinkhaze » Wed May 19, 2010 7:33 pm
Wow, that was super helpful! Thanks a ton! :)

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:03 pm
np