My GMAT Experience (760 - V46/Q49/AWA 5.0)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:3 members

My GMAT Experience (760 - V46/Q49/AWA 5.0)

by rajarshir » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:53 am
I have never posted here before but this website has been of immense help to me. Therefore I felt that I should contribute my GMAT experience here.

I spent about 10 weeks spanning over 3 months of time preparing for my GMAT. I was quite regular with my studies except for about the time when I was shifting residence. I never spent more than 3 hours a day and almost never studied over the weekend. I used the following resources in this specific order: The OG Edition 11, Princeton Review Guide with the 4 online trial exams and 4 Kaplan CATs. Of course I made good use of Eric's GMAT flashcards and also took the 2 GMATPrep exams. I felt that the OG was indispensible towards preparing for the GMAT and at least a couple of questions that I had encountered in the GMAT were also present in the OG. The GMATPrep exams were also the closest to the actual GMAT itself and I took both the GMATPrep exams twice. When I had begun my GMAT prepartion, the score on the first exam was 630. When I had retaken this exam towards the end of my preparation, I had managed a 700. The highest I got on any of the mock exams was a 710.

The Princeton Review Guide only helped me with the essays. Their essay writing techniques were superb, however I felt that most of their material, especially their Math preparatory was very basic. The Kaplan GMATs weren't of much use, in fact I managed to get a 650 + score in only one of them and got less than a 600 in the others. I wouldn't recommend taking the Kaplan CATs; not only are the questions badly drafted but also are they not of the type that you would face at the GMAT. The only good thing that I saw was the Math practice it gave me.

Most of the mock exams I took were under similiar testing conditions of the GMAT. I never felt that the questions in the GMAT were really difficult. What I felt difficult was the duration of the exam. Getting a high score (a 700+) meant that you would have to really keep your concentration levels at the same peak for almost throughout 3 hours. This was what I really had to practice and therefore almost always wrote the 2 essays at the start of the mock exams and never exceeded my break times.

A couple of things: taking something to eat with you to the exam center is a real help. The added energy is a big boost and taking the GMAT on a hungry stomach really doesn't help one at all. Also I booked the GMAT appointment only when I felt that I was well prepared. Where I took the exam at, appointment dates were available as early as 2-3 days away and therefore I booked an appointment only when I began scoring consistently on the mock exams. A lot of it depends on how you are feeling on the day on the exam. Make sure you don't take any mock exams on the day before. However revising a little on the day and the day before was very useful.

P.S: I am attaching an Idioms list here for your reference.
Attachments
GMAT Idiom List.doc
(62 KiB) Downloaded 4773 times

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:23 am
Congrats on your great score. 46 in verbal is terrific.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by optimisticsam » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:13 am
Congrats! Good showing!

Impressive 760 even though you never broke 710 in your prep!

Thanks for the idiom list by the way! I am reviewing it now, well worth it!

Thanks!

Best of luck in your next step!

by samirpandeyit62 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:17 am
Congratulations rajarshir, 760 is a very good score,but 46V is a dream score, can u share any insights about what u did in Verbal.
Regards
Samir

by rajarshir » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:50 am
The Official Guide was extremely useful. I made sure to go through this as as thoroughly as possible. In the exercises, I made a note of the ones I got wrong and came back to them after I had finished with the Kaplan and Princeton guides. I also went through several Idiom lists. This was my weakest area in the Verbal section.

I think its very important to identify the GMAT questioning pattern and like I have said already, the Kaplan exams actually hurt one as they take one away from the actual pattern of questions of the GMAT.

I developed a strategy for each section. For RC, I had decided to spend at least 2-3 minutes reading the entire passage and identifying the important contents of each paragraph. For SC, I tried to read up on as many Idioms as possible and also attempted to very careful with questions that had tense errors. For CR, I read the given passage very clearly and tried identying the premise, assumption and conclusion even before reading the question.

All the best. It really isn't that difficult. Look at this way, there are so many people that score over a 700. Even with my score, there is a still a percentile that have done better than I have.

by singh » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:26 am
Congratulation Rajsri. Your post is very inspiring. I've been struggling with my studies for GMAT. As I've a full time job and also am a single parent.

I live in Toronto and was wondering where are you located and if I could get some tips on doing the verbal section as I'm so average at it. I wouls like to CRACK it. My pacing for both the analytical and verbal is so off. AWA is totally done within the time limit. Any tips for me?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Poonam.

by samirpandeyit62 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:32 am
Thanks rajarshir, for providing the info & also the idioms list is very good.
Regards
Samir

by achandwa » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:40 am
You have to be out of this world to score a 46 on verbal! Great score rajarshir! Congrats. Good luck with your apps.
-Ashish

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:58 pm
Incredible score! And thank you SO MUCH for the list of idioms!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by mayonnai5e » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:39 am
760. Amazing. CONGRATS!
https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-blog-erro ... t4899.html
550 =\ ...560 =\... 650 =) ...570 =( ...540 =*( ...680 =P ... 670 =T ...=T... 650 =T ...700 =) ..690 =) ...710 =D ...GMAT 720 DING!! ;D

Learn more about me

GMAT Score:760

by UBSboy81 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:54 pm
I wanted to thank rajarshir for posting this list.
Today was my GMAT day and I scored a 99% overall and on the verbal. I am not a native English speaker so this was something that I was very happy about. I think that the GMAT is getting much more difficult (took fomr paper tests from way back) and the level of idiom use is no doubt going up.
I also wanted to share two other idiom lists that I found to be very helpful as there were a few that rajarshir did not mention.

1.) I found a good list within the ManhattanGMAT Sentence Correction Guide. This was just so helpful.

2.) I found this GMAT idiom list quite good as it has cross references with the official guides.

Thanks again for making a 99% score possible.

Congrats!

by rajarshir » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:37 pm
I am glad my posting helped. All the best with your applications.

GMAT Score:760

by JohnnyG » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:41 pm
what are your plans for applications? where and when do you plan to apply?

by franciskyle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:37 pm
Sorry if this sounds somewhat elementary, but I am having trouble figuring out how this document works. Could someone lend and tell me how the document is structured?

Thanks!
k. Francis

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by prepfortests » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:39 am
Congratulations on a truly stellar score and I'm glad you found our list of common GMAT idiomatic expressions so useful.

Best of luck with your apps.

J.
https://www.prepfortests.com
GMAT tutorials, tips and practice questions