Kaplan SARS passage question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Kaplan SARS passage question

by Delayed_flight » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:53 am
I presume someone in here has checked Kaplan GMAT Premier Program 2008 edition, which i'm currently dealin with. And if yes, you might have certainly read a passage about SARS outbreak (p. 198 in my book). So the question 44 to this passage asks a reader to find the most appropriate title for the passage. I have picked D) 'The Global Impact of the SARS Virus', ignoring A) "Serial Killer: the anatomy of the 2003 SARS outbreak" on purpose, since it seemed to me too 'loud'. And i clearly remember to have read a number of times that GMAT does not support these kind of 'sharp' titles. I was so suprised to see that A) was a correct answer, and that's why I wrote here hoping to know why Kaplan authors present this answer choice as a correct one.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by rockeyb » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:30 am
I am using the same book and have gone through the passage .

But I got the answer correct . And here are my reasons for picking the answer A and not D .

D says - Global impact of the SARS virus .

If you look at the passage no were dose it mention that what effect the virus has globally . Only in the last paragraph it says GLOBAL mobilization took place to stop the virus . The entire passage discuss only about effect in china and Hong kong .

Its not discussing global impact .

But option (A) although starts as a serial Killer but states its an anatomy of 2003 SARS out break .

If you look at the first 2 lines of the passage its exactly that . The entire passage talks of events that took place in the year 2003 related to SARS outbreak .

I hope this made some sense to you .
"Know thyself" and "Nothing in excess"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Delayed_flight » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 am
Global Serial Killer - sounds very out of GMAT league. Isnt that what GMAT Kaplan teaches - avoid answer choices with "emotional" feel.