Expert Advice, Please

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:640

Expert Advice, Please

by ZackAttack » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:06 am
Hi,

I am currently unemployed and looking to attend an MBA program to develop a new skill set. Specifically, I would like to gain the technical finance skills that will help to open up doors in corporate finance. NYU is one of the premier programs in finance, and I would love to attend the Stern School. Unfortunately, the full-time deadline has passed. Although I'm unemployed, can I still apply to the part-time program?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help.

Regards.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:16 members
GMAT Score:770

by Scott@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:40 am
Hello,

I don't think you're barred from applying, but it will be a challenge for you to answer why you need a part-time MBA (vs. a full-time degree), beyond the fact that you don't want to wait until next fall's deadlines. If you're unemployed now, consider what other things you could do now to make your application to the full-time program even stronger in the fall, such as devoting yourself to non-profit work. Of course, only do that if it's something that you're truly passionate about, but that would be one example of making good use of your downtime to make a positive impact AND potentially make a stronger case for yourself when you apply.

Good luck!
Scott