New type of question for me.

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

New type of question for me.

by harsh.champ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:06 am
I encountered a new question type.When I was actually solving the question I took a lot of time re-reading the conversation of both the people again and again.Any tips how to solve in the least possible time??

Answer the questions based on the following information.

Tom: The unemployment rate has dropped below five percent, and that is good news for America. A lower unemployment rate is better for almost everyone.

Shelly: Actually, a low unemployment rate is good for most workers but not for everyone. Workers are certainly happy to have jobs, but many businesses are negatively affected by a low unemployment rate because they have fewer applicants for jobs, and to expand their workforce, they have to hire workers they would not usually hire. The wealthiest Americans also privately complain about the inability to get good gardeners, housecleaners, and nannies when most Americans are already employed. So a low unemployment rate is not, in fact, good for America.

Q1)Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument that a low unemployment rate is bad for business?

(1)Businesses must pay skilled or experienced workers higher salaries when the unemployment rate is low.
(2)The states don't have to pay unemployment compensation to as many workers when unemployment is low.
(3)Higher unemployment generally means higher enrollment levels in college and graduate school.
(4)Inflation can increase with low unemployment, making capital more expensive for any business seeking to expand.
(5)Low unemployment rates generally mean that Americans have more money to spend on the goods and services created by American businesses.

Q2)Shelly's conclusion that "a low unemployment rate is not, in fact, good for America" relies on the assumption that

(1)What is bad for businesses owners and the wealthy is bad for America.
(2)Fluctuations in the unemployment rate affect the number of applicants for job openings.
(3)Wealthy Americans rarely employ other Americans to clean their houses or as nannies for their children.
(4)Business owners always want what is best for their workers even when it negatively impacts the bottom line.
(5)Low unemployment hurts some workers because they would prefer to stay at home and collect unemployment checks.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by neelimareddym » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:59 am
harsh.champ wrote:I encountered a new question type.When I was actually solving the question I took a lot of time re-reading the conversation of both the people again and again.Any tips how to solve in the least possible time??

Answer the questions based on the following information.

Tom: The unemployment rate has dropped below five percent, and that is good news for America. A lower unemployment rate is better for almost everyone.

Shelly: Actually, a low unemployment rate is good for most workers but not for everyone. Workers are certainly happy to have jobs, but many businesses are negatively affected by a low unemployment rate because they have fewer applicants for jobs, and to expand their workforce, they have to hire workers they would not usually hire. The wealthiest Americans also privately complain about the inability to get good gardeners, housecleaners, and nannies when most Americans are already employed. So a low unemployment rate is not, in fact, good for America.

Q1)Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument that a low unemployment rate is bad for business?

(1)Businesses must pay skilled or experienced workers higher salaries when the unemployment rate is low.
(2)The states don't have to pay unemployment compensation to as many workers when unemployment is low.
(3)Higher unemployment generally means higher enrollment levels in college and graduate school.
(4)Inflation can increase with low unemployment, making capital more expensive for any business seeking to expand.
(5)Low unemployment rates generally mean that Americans have more money to spend on the goods and services created by American businesses.

Q2)Shelly's conclusion that "a low unemployment rate is not, in fact, good for America" relies on the assumption that

(1)What is bad for businesses owners and the wealthy is bad for America.
(2)Fluctuations in the unemployment rate affect the number of applicants for job openings.
(3)Wealthy Americans rarely employ other Americans to clean their houses or as nannies for their children.
(4)Business owners always want what is best for their workers even when it negatively impacts the bottom line.
(5)Low unemployment hurts some workers because they would prefer to stay at home and collect unemployment checks.
Question 1. I feel it is E though am not sure
Question 2. A. By using negation technique ended up at A

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sadullaevd » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:02 am
IMO

Q 1. (5)

Q 2. (1)
Stay skeptical,
Think critically,
Assume nothing.