Math Help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Math Help

by Syrian » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:03 am
Hi All:

I have put together a study strategy (see attached). I took a practice diag from PR (quant section only). :cry: I'm just really bummed that I didn't to well on the quant warm up. I have been reading the posts on the forum. I got a lot of ideas from Eric, twinspiller, wildRebel and Ursula. I created my study plan based on how I felt I would progress. I have roughly 8 weeks to prepare for the gmat. After taking a warm PR test I feel like I'm at square one. I bought PR,Kaplan GRE & GMAT Math workbook, Kaplan 800 and OG 11th. I finished reading the entire PR book. PR was helpful but I believe maybe I should go through it again and try to memorize the concepts while also practicing some math equations. I just started working on the Kaplan GRE & GMAT workbook this week.

I'm really worried about taking the gmat in december and also not scoring as high as I'd like to. I'm contemplating getting a math tutor.

Any suggestions?

Also, I've noticed that I do well on the practice drills in Kaplan Math Workbook and PR but when I take the exam at the end of the chapter there are problems which were not covered in the section that I have read.

Syrian
Attachments
Grides for testing.xls
(31.5 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by ajith » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:34 am
As Far As math is concerned feel free to ask me the topics/questions you have difficulty with. We are always there to help you out. I promise you a prompt reply for your queries...

Community Manager

by ianstrike » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:45 am
PR was helpful but I believe maybe I should go through it again and try to memorize the concepts while also practicing some math equations. I just started working on the Kaplan GRE & GMAT workbook this week.
You can't read math instructions like you read the newspaper. You need to WORK the math. One way to do this - since you've worked through the TPR math AND the Kap Math workbook - is to find similar problems from the other book AS you review the concepts and strategies

Also, I've noticed that I do well on the practice drills in Kaplan Math Workbook and PR but when I take the exam at the end of the chapter there are problems which were not covered in the section that I have read.
Absolutely. The review problems in both books ALWAYS add nuances to the basic concepts. Work through those problems multiple times. Peruse the explanations in detail. (The TPR explanations are often not so great - they suggest picking numbers far too frequently. )

Relate what you learn in one problem to others. Keep re-encountering problems. Keep at it. You will get there.
Ian Streicher