kaplan diagnostic test

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

kaplan diagnostic test

by preetha_85 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:34 pm
Hi ,

Just started my preparation.. took the Kaplan dagnostic test nd these were the scores....
total questions -38
total correct :32
total wrong :6
split up :
18 math; 15 right
20 verbal; 17 right
This test does not gimme an approximate GMAT score. Can u please tell me wat this means.. as in wat will be my approximate GMAT score.

Thx in advance

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

Kaplan Diag

by Jen Kedro » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:08 pm
Hi Preetha,

What Diagnostic test are you referring to? That will help me to submit your question to the right person. If it was the Diagnostic in our classroom or tutoring courses, it should have provided a GMAT score for you. If it was in a retail book, I am surprised but I can look into it for you...if so let me know exactly what book and edition.

Good luck on your studies!
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by preetha_85 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:56 pm
Hi ,
Am referring to the diagnostic test that is present in the online companion to the Kaplan GMAT premier program(2009 edition) book . Also can you please let me know if the questions present in this diagnostic test are GMAT standard or at a slightly lower/higher level of difficulty since the test is only a diagnostic test and not a full length GMAT paper.

Thanks in advance.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
Hello Preetha,

Thank you so much for buying our GMAT 2009: Premier Program!

The performance analysis page of the diagnostic quiz does not provide a scaled score equivalent, but this is only because it is a half-length quiz (not a full-length test) and its the sole purpose is to highlight your individual strengths and weaknesses, so you can create a customized and streamlined GMAT study plan.

PLEASE NOTE, however, that for the FULL-LENGTH PRACTICE TESTS online AND on the CD, the performance analysis page provides BOTH subscores for the individual math and verbal sections, as well as an overall scaled score.

Also, keep in mind as you review your diagnostic results that not all strengths and weaknesses have to do with question type.
If you got a Data Sufficiency question wrong because you couldn't remember the Order of Operations, or all the answers to a Sentence Correction question looked correct to you because your grammar isn't so hot, then your weakness is in the skills being tested, NOT that particular GMAT question type.
So if you ever find that your skills need a little boost in order to get you to your target score, look out for Kaplan's math, verbal, and writing workbooks, which provide in-depth content review, exercises to build speed and accuracy, and test-like practice questions.

In regards to your other question about the diagnostic quiz, rest assured that they are absolutely test-like, standard GMAT questions. They have to be, really, since otherwise, it would defeat the purpose of the diagnostic, which is to allow you to accurately determine your strengths and weaknesses.

I hope this has been helpful, and I wish you the best of luck on your exam!

Sincerely,

Monica P. Lugo
Editor - Kaplan Publishing

--
We build futures one success story at a time. Visit us at www.kaplanpublishing.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

My Serial doesn't work

by donisback » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:59 pm
Hi,
I bought GMAT Premier Live Online 2010 Edition. When I entered the serial number in the book companion website, it says "The key I entered is invalid"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

by koolkartin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:33 pm
I had the exact same problem, the key printed on the book was incorrect. I sent an email to [email protected], they were prompt, courteous and resolved the issue within a day;

Note: to save some time, create a new account at KAPTEST and provide that information when you send them a note;

Cheers
Karthik Krishnamoorthy

by smc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:52 am
Hi,

I also bought the GMAT Premier Live Online 2010 Edition and although i had no problem submiting the serial code I had another problem.

The first test the online application advises you to take is the one on the book. It is paper-based (so no-CAT) and you have to calculate your score at the end of the test. I did so and was surprised to see the score.

My results were.

Quantitative
25 right 12 wrong (Percentile 46 according to the book)

Verbal
30 right 11 wrong (Percentile 66 according to the book)

When I added up the raw scores, the final score turn out to be a disapointing 480 (percentile 31 according to the book)

I dont know if i miscalculated it or there is something wrong with the calculation on the book.

I have already taken the test once and with a 36percentile on Quant and 46percentile on Verbal I got 520 (thats why i need to retake it)

Anyone had the same problem?? To me it doesnt make too much sense to have a 46 and 66 percentile on the sections and then an overall 31 percentile, does it?

Cheers
Samu

by smc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:07 am
Hi again,

I just took the 1st Practice Test (CAT) and with 25 correct answer on each section i scored 590.

Yesterday on the diagnostic test (paper based) I got 25 (Q) and 30 (V) questions right and scored 480.

Whats the explanation?

Cheers
Samuel

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:39 pm
smc wrote:Hi again,

I just took the 1st Practice Test (CAT) and with 25 correct answer on each section i scored 590.

Yesterday on the diagnostic test (paper based) I got 25 (Q) and 30 (V) questions right and scored 480.

Whats the explanation?

Cheers
Samuel
Hi,

pencil and paper tests have completely different scoring algorithms than CATs and you can't usefully compare raw scores (i.e. # correct) between the two types of exams.

Don't worry about your score on the Diagnostic; it's not intended to be predict your eventual score (if it were, we'd have called it the Prognostic instead!), it's just a means of getting an idea of your strengths and areas of opportunity.

The CATs that you write will be far more valuable from a predictive point of view, although you should really be using those as diagnostic tools to help refine your study plan, rather than dwelling on the scores. Once you get much closer to Test Day, focus on the numbers more.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course