Test

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:680

Test

by suffissd » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:30 am
Test
Last edited by suffissd on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:40 am
congrats ! lovely school !

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Duke class of 2011 with a 640

by Stockmoose16 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:19 pm
suffissd wrote:Thank you so much to the Beat the GMAT community for everyones posts to help me get accepted to the Fuqua School of Business.

So for everyone with a lower GMAT don't lose all hope!

Congrats!!!

I'll be applying for the class of '11, too. I just scored a 690 and thought it might be too low to get me in. Do you mind posting some info about your background (work experience, UG GPA, etc)? I'd love to know if I have a good shot.

More Info

by suffissd » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 pm
Of course! I think I was so excited to get in (Duke was my first choice) that I didn't give any details.

I am a 24 year old white female, and I majored in Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology. I had a 3.40 undergraduate GPA, and then I got a certificate in Biochemistry where my GPA was 3.89.

I only have 1.5 years of work experience (which I think proves quality is better than quantity) at the National Institutes of Health where I got a prestigious fellowship to work on the AIDS virus. I was elected the Fellow-Chair of my institute at the NIH which gives me some management experience.

I think what really got me in were my letters of recommendations which were amazing, and then my essays with an emphasis on how everything I have done thus far in health care will enable me to be successful in the Health Sector Management Concentration which I plan to pursue.

I also tried to set myself apart from other applicants in my essays by talking about being an Academic All American in Snowboarding which I was very dedicated to in College.

Good Luck!
Last edited by suffissd on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

Re: More Info

by AleksandrM » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:06 pm
suffissd wrote:Of course! I think I was so excited to get in (Duke was my first choice) that I didn't give any details.

I am a 24 year old white female, and I majored in Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology. I had a 3.40 undergraduate GPA, and then I got a certificate in Biochemistry where my GPA was 3.89.
My GMAT was 640 (35V/44Q, 6 Analytical Writing)

I only have 1.5 years of work experience (which I think proves quality is better than quantity) at the National Institutes of Health where I got a prestigious fellowship to work on the AIDS virus. I was elected the Fellow-Chair of my institute at the NIH which gives me some management experience.

I think what really got me in were my letters of recommendations which were amazing, and then my essays with an emphasis on how everything I have done thus far in health care will enable me to be successful in the Health Sector Management Concentration which I plan to pursue.

I also tried to set myself apart from other applicants in my essays by talking about being an Academic All American in Snowboarding which I was very dedicated to in College.

Good Luck!
Love your story. Congratulations on putting together a competitive - an obviously winning - application. I wish the best of luck to you.

Enjoy the ride!

by suffissd » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:10 am
Thank you! I also just found out that I received a Merit Based scholarship which I believe proves by having strong essays and career goals any one can get into their dream school (and possible get funding too!)

Legendary Member

by AleksandrM » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:28 pm
Wow! That is awesome. Your story certainly goes to show quite a few people on this forum that B-school admissions is more than just the GMAT. I have seen so many people on this site report a 700+ score followed by something along the lines of "Harvard, here I come..." only to be disappointed because they failed to put together an overall strong application - perhaps believing that they can ride on their GMAT score alone.

Well done!

by cyclonus » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:19 pm
Congratulations on the admission as well as the merit scholarship!! Duke is my dream school, so here's hoping I get in! I'm applying this Fall.

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members

by hk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:47 am
suffissd wrote:Of course! I think I was so excited to get in (Duke was my first choice) that I didn't give any details.

My GMAT was 640 (35V/44Q, 6 Analytical Writing)

Good Luck!
No wonder you got an admit from Duke!! Congrats and all the best.
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members

by money9111 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 pm
Wow yes congratulations! I love heard stories like this! Like I stated previously, this is an exciting time for us who are in GMAT mode right now, because everyone is beginning to hear back from schools. Now it's time for you to CELEBRATE!!! So much time and effort is put into the GMAT and people neglect the essays, which IMO are even more important.

Best of Luck!!!

Stockmoose16 a 690 is not a bad score at all. That's definitely within the 80% GMAT range for all schools. A 690 should not prevent you from applying! Just a though!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by beatthegre » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:13 am
Good job with Duke, can you tell us anything about how it is? Campus life, career services, employment options??

Being between undergrads and MBAs??

Thanks