CR1000 T1 Q7, Test II, Q15

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

CR1000 T1 Q7, Test II, Q15

by Gabby1 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:54 pm
7. If A, then B.
If B, then C.
If C, then D.
If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?
(A) If D, then A.
(B) If not B, then not C.
(C) If not D, then not A.
(D) If D, then E.
(E) If not A, then not D.

Answer: C.

**My thought: If A then B, does it mean in logic for result of B to happen, A must happen? Because in math courses that I take, it can mean that A is one of the causes for B. To me the answer is C only when it is the first case, and not the second one. Anyone wants to enlighten me on that?

15. In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may have to spend up to $100,000 of tax money. Since Civil Service employees know how hard it is to fire them, they tend to loaf. This explains in large part why the government is so inefficient.
It can be properly inferred on the basis of the statements above that the author believes which of the following?
I. Too much job security can have a negative influence on workers.
II. More government workers should be fired.
III. Most government workers are Civil Service employees.
(A) I only
(B) I and III only
(C) II only
(D) I, II, and III
(E) III only

Answer: A

***I don't understand why the answer isn't B, or why is III not one of the assumptions. The author did state that it explains in large part why the government is so inefficient. To me the author is assuming that the government must employ a lot of civil service employees to be so inefficient. Any input on this?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by optimisticsam » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:57 am
These both have me stumped.

Any other inputs out there?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Ans....

by jangojess » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:29 pm
for the 1st Q the ans is C....
A ==> B...then if you negate it, the relation will be B~ ==> A~

for the 2nd question...III is too strong to be inferred...coz of the word MOST...if it were some employees were civil then it wud've been in inference....any other thots are welcome!!!
Trying hard!!!