Any Suggestions on Additional Prep for GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Any Suggestions on Additional Prep for GMAT

by Syrian » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:00 am
Hi:

I just started studying for the GMAT when I came upon your web site this week. After reading how you, Twinspiller and Ursula approached the GMAT my nerves began to calm down. I bought OG, PR, Kaplan 800 and Kaplan GRE & GMAT workbook. I am reading PR math section because I really stink at math. I bought the PR book a couple of days ago. I am going to finish the math section no later then tuesday. Once I am finished with reviewing the basic math (ie algebra, geometry, formulas etc) I am going to try to solve 40 math problems a day from PR, Kaplan 800, Kaplan Workbook and OG. I figure it would be a good idea to mix the problems up. I was thinking 10 problems from each book would be a great combo. My question to you is, is this the best approach to prepare for the quant section? I want to dedicate at least 3 weeks to quant, 2 weeks to vebal and 3 weeks to testing what I've learned. At the end of my first 3 weeks I want to take my first Kaplan diag. I plan on incorporating Twinspiller's approach of studying. Focusing on quant for a couple of weeks, move to verbal for a couple of weeks while still testing quant. That way I will not forget what I have learned.

It's so overwhelming for me at times. I want to take the GMAT no later then Dec 2 but I sometimes think that I may not have enough time. Perhaps, it's just my nerves getting rattled. I really want to become part of the 700+ club.

Any suggestions?

Syrian

Community Manager

by ianstrike » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:42 am
Syrian.

Your plan seems good. Be fleexible in your planning. I would suggest that you continue to do math work while you spend the time on verbal.

The Deecember 2 may be fine for you, but it might be the perfect time.

Stay flexible and work hard.
Ian Streicher

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

by wildrebel » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:58 am
Hi Syrian,

I can completely relate to what you're saying. My Quant skills were nothing to write home about (or write at all about), but I managed to scrape through.

Your plan's absolutely fine. Remember to approach stuff your OWN way. While Eric (and many others) have had great approaches, I feel it's better if you take little bits and pieces from everyone's approach and build your own.

About Quant, I feel the best thing to do is solve, make mistakes, resolve, correct mistakes, and make flashcards for everything.

Also, when I was solving, I took special care to mark out which questions I guessed, and which I spent more than approx 1.5 mins. I'd periodically review all the incorrect/guess/slow questions, and my flash cards were based only on those. I think that helped more than anything else.

Towards the end of my prep, I was actually more confident about Quant than I was about SC! In any case, don't worry- and don't change the date unless it's absolutely necessary. It gives you something concrete to work towards.

All the best!
Nandan
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members
Syrian wrote:Hi All:

Thanks for all of the feedback. I truly appreciate it. I am beginning to get a bit overwhelmed with the amount of books that I am purchasing. How many books in total did you guys purchase?

Syrian
Message moved from new thread (https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=616) to here. You didn't need to create another thread for the additional query :P We can continue here. Other thread is deleted.

I just purchased OG11, OG-Verbal, OG-Quant and 1 week before the test, in a fit of panic, PrincetonReview '07. Solved almost all of the OG Qs, but none of the PrincetonReview. PR was a good read though. Made me feel a little more relaxed (esp. since it's written really light).

Buy as many as you feel you need. But don't oversolve without analyzing properly.

Good luck!
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx