GMAT prep test1 730

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT prep test1 730

by abby_g » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:47 am
GMAT prep test1 730 (Q49, V40) Ok. here is my analysis of GMAT prep test1

Quant:
1) It is a bit tough than GMAT powerprep. I had to rush through last 4 questions.

2)Please devote time to statistics. I saw 5 questions on stats (that includes simple average and weighted average) and 3 questions of Counting methods and probability. They tested meon how good my fundamentals are rooted. If i had had strong with my stats principles i would have got time to solve the last 4 questions leisurely.

3) I made my first mistake in question 16. i followed a strategy wherein, i concentrated on the first 10 questions and took more time for them. I got total of 9 wrongs, of which i got 5 wrongs(3 simple mistakes) in last 7 questions. It indicates that had i been a bit quick i could have scaled above 50 in quant.

4) Top 5 questions are tough. They were as if trying to judge my math solving skills.

Moral of the story: I would follow the same approach but try to speed after 10th question. Also i need to revise stats fundamentals, i.e. how median, arithmetic mean and standard deviation are interdependent.. This way i may solve these questions quickly and save time. The most difficult questions questionnaire on this forum are truly superb. They increased my speed a lot; i was very fast and accurate with probability. The same i will try for stats.

Verbal:

1) This was my first serious attempt at 4hours full length test. I got very exhausted when came to verbal.

2) My stats of verbal:

Correct Incorrect
Sentence Corrections (SC) 12 4
Reading Comp (RC) 11 3
Critical Reading (CR) 6 5

From above stats, my critical reasoning was a major disappointment. I nees to improve upon that aspect. I'm consistent with my SC though. I have improved in RC a lot.

3) I made my first mistake in question 10. Thereafter, i made many mistakes after 20 a lot. I was totally exhausted by the time I entered in 30's.

4) Timing here was not an issue. I completed with 1 min to spare.

Moral of the story: Please give full length test with AWA to judge your stamina. For me, i have to fine tune my Critical reasoning.

With one week to go for actual GMAT i think this was a good precursor. Still i think i can better my score by 20-30 points if my above strategy works.
[/list][/list]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:11 am
Thanks for sharing this analysis of your practice test. Did you take your actual GMAT yet?
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school