Reading Comp.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Reading Comp.

by boconn2 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:00 pm
OK
Last edited by boconn2 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, just studyin for the gmat

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by abby_g » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:56 pm
I treat the passage on the basis of paragraphs. Each paragraph starts with stating the purpose. I try to earmark (in mind) what the theme of the paragraph. More or less first paragraph starts with main theme. SEcond follows with the example supporting the theme with considerations of some counter arugments. Third is mostly end paragraph with summary.
IF there is a contrast to the theory on table, then the third will introduce /explain alternative theory with examples to negate the second and fourth will be weigh both the arguments.
All the passages are research based; Hence, there will be theories that are discussed with specific aim (To negate, to support or to explain different theories). IF you keep this general structure in mind you can crack down on the questions. THis strategy has helped me alot to improve.
And yes, the inference question will always be hidden in some example. So whenever there is a example that is cited try to figure out why that is mentioned (i.e to support the previous point or to indaicate a hole in the previous point).
I also have a exam on 17th Oct. Best of luck and let me know if the above works.