Profile evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation

by GMATcoming » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:52 am
Hi,

Could you please evaluate my profile? (I am planning to apply next year (to start fall 2011)

Undergrad: Computer Science (72%, 15-20 rank Indian university)

Graduate:
MS Computer Science (GPA 3.54, Top 10 US university)

GMAT: 770

Work Exp: Currently close to 2 years at a Fortune 3 energy company in US as Business Analyst (project management not IT related)

Current Extracurricular:

- Volunteer fire fighter for my county(might have some leadership role by march 2010)(close to a year)

- Volunteer at the city Zoo ( not a leadership position but I love working with the animals!)(2 months)

- Co-chair of my company's community service club (3 months)

School extracurricular:

- President of Association of Indian students at my grad univ (2 semesters)

- Awarded Teaching assistantship in the business school of my grad university (1 semester)

- Volunteer at a non profit involved in rehabilitating and interviewing Holocaust victims(1 year)

- Worked with a clean energy non profit during undergrad (leadership position for 1 year)

Post MBA: The 2 biggest energy company in US have a leadership development program that I am interested in. They hire MBAs from top 15-20 universities. Since I work for one of these companies, I will have a good chance of being recruited for the leadership program after I complete my MBA.

I am interested in applying to the following schools:

Wharton
Chicago
Columbia
Kellogg/Sloan
Yale
NYU/Cornell

Do you think I have a fair shot at these schools or am I overshooting? I don't really have a safety school in the list (maybe HBS? :lol: )but I have my reasons for it.

I would definitely be taking help from an admission consultant for my application. What would be the best/earliest time to get the process stated if I consider mbaMission?

Thank you for your help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:27 am
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.

You have a lot of strengths that make you a compelling candidate - the GMAT score of course, but also some interesting extracurriculars that show commitment to a broader community, and a clear logical path from your past (work experience and work with the clean energy non-profit in college) and your future. Because you are part of an over-represented population of Indian technologists, you should really emphasize the business and energy aspects of your story, as well as the community involvement, and why that specific school will help you on your journey. Some of your activities are fairly recent so I would certainly encourage you to continue with them, looking for opportunities to show leadership and initiative over the next few months.

Your list of schools is ambitious without a safety, as you note, but I think you will be a competitive candidate at them, especially if you take the next few months to focus on finding even more opportunities to highlight your leadership skills.

Schools release their essay questions for the upcoming year over the summer, so that is when the our clients generally start to sign up. But we do have clients who sign up earlier to work with us on school selection, research "why this school", clarify their goals, or simply because they want to establish a deep relationship with their consultant before they dive into the work.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by GMATcoming » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:32 pm
Thanks Jessica, that was really detailed and extremely insightful!!

I have followed your posts on this forum and really appreciate how much effort you make in responding to individual inquiries. Your responses are never generic and always very detailed. You make the extra effort of providing innovative solutions to the problems the applicants face in the application process.

As I said, I am looking for an admission consultant to help me with my application for next year. Will it be OK for me to let MBAmission know when I contact them that I would like to work with you?

Thanks again for this wonderful work!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:15 pm
Thank you; I appreciate the kind words. We offer free 30 minute consultations; the link is on our website. When you fill that out you can certainly request to speak with me, and at that call we can discuss next steps further.

Best,

GMATcoming wrote:Thanks Jessica, that was really detailed and extremely insightful!!

I have followed your posts on this forum and really appreciate how much effort you make in responding to individual inquiries. Your responses are never generic and always very detailed. You make the extra effort of providing innovative solutions to the problems the applicants face in the application process.

As I said, I am looking for an admission consultant to help me with my application for next year. Will it be OK for me to let MBAmission know when I contact them that I would like to work with you?

Thanks again for this wonderful work!
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php