MBA after MEM

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

MBA after MEM

by rockthegmat11 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:09 am
Hey,

How would an engineering management (Masters) degree affect my chances of getting admitted to a top MBA program in the future (3 years from now)? A little bit about me ... I have a BSEE/MSEE degree (Electrical Engineering) with Honors. I took the GMAT and already scored over 700. I'm planning to take it again to break 750 (personal goal). My manager is encouraging me to get an MS in Engineering Management (because I told him I have future MBA plans).
I know some schools, like NYU and Dartmouth, don't accept students with an MBA equivalent degree. Would MS in EGMT be considered an equivalent degree? Or would it strengthen my application if I can maintain a pretty high GPA, and participate actively in the community in the meantime. Please let me know. Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:59 am
Hi, and thanks for your inquiry. You would have to check with the specific schools as to whether your degree would be considered equivalent. My guess is that you'll get split decisions - some schools will and some won't - so you're better off taking some time to make those phone calls and find out in advance. If they do accept the degree, and you do well in it and still maintain a full plate of work and activities, then I think it will strengthen your application. But definitely check first to help you make your decision.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php