Score and schools

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Score and schools

by nishiz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:20 am
Hi everyone,

I have been following btg forums for almost a year now. I recently gave my GMAT for the second time. The first time I scored 680 and this time I managed 700.

My question to all of you is - for that score would it be sensible to apply to the following schools:
a. Haas
b. Anderson
c. Marshall
d. McCombs

I am an Indian Female IT...so a very common profile.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ogbeni » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:03 pm
That score will get you into not only the schools listed but also others such as NYU,Columbia, Wharton, Harvard. The question is: what differentiates you from the other female Indian IT applicants? Can you co-workers and bosses attest to your leadership potential? Outside of work, have you demonstrated a committment to making society better? What makes you who you are?

Those are the questions you should be asking yourself. You've Beat the Almighty GMAT - Congratulations. Next hurdle is selling your story to AdComs.

Will you apply for the fall of 2010 or 2011? If 2011, you have sufficient time to get strategic and work towards crafting a compelling story. If 2010, you have to look at your past and draw strengths from your experience in order to make a powerful case to MBA ad coms.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nishiz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:31 pm
Thanks a ton for your reply.
I agree that it boils down to what makes your application unique. But I have been under the impression that all applications are screened first on the basis of GMAT. So for McCombs, they might just not look at my profile coz I have only 700.Do you think thats how it works ?

Have to start working on those essays now.....wish me luck :)
And all the best to u too :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ogbeni » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:59 pm
The process is not so black and white!! Relax! I also think McCombs is probably the easiest of the schools you've listed to get into. Haas is probably the toughest.

If your application is powerful, you'll be considered. You'll be fine! Good luck

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:57 pm
Moving this post to the 'Researching MBA Programs' forum.

Your GMAT score is excellent (congrats!) and should certainly put you into a competitive position with the school's you've listed, in my opinion.

Good luck, and please keep us updated! :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school